Database Decision when using LDAP authentication

For my Jive Messenger Server 2.2.0 I am using a local MySQL database along with LDAP authentication. I want to scale to 2,500 users (Linux, dual cpu, 2gb RAM)

MySql is not a standard database at my company, so I am planning to move towards Oracle 9i (off box)

As I check usage of my database:

mysqlshow -i jive | cut -d"|" -f2,6,7,8

I’'ve noticed that with LDAP auth - growth will be dependent on vCard usage, roster groups, and MUC room usage.

In some ways - I almost feel I should stay on box with the embedded database - the eventual database size won’'t even fill a USB memory key!

Any thoughts on the subject are welcome. I would like to hear about similiar installs. I promise to report back my experiences after my rollout to my user base in the future!

Hi Tom,

I would suspect you’'d probably be ok sticking with the embedded db since it appears you are using some pretty decent hardware and LDAP.

One big advantage to using an external database, besides offloading work to another process/machine, is that should the machine that Messenger is running on have a major meltdown you lose a minimum amount of data. But, in your case if you did have a major meltdown and lost vCard, group, and MUC data while frustrating, would not be as big of deal than if you were to lose user account data. Another advantage to using an eternal database is it typically makes for easier backups, especially if that database is already in place and is being cared for.

I look forward to hearing what path you take and how everything works out.

Thanks,

Ryan

That is good feedback - another thing occurred to me - when clustering becomes available - will an external database be a requirement? In a perfect (read expensive) Jive Messenger world - I could have a cluster of Linux servers connected to a an external database that is based on Oracle RAC for true High Availability.

That is good feedback - another thing occurred to me

• when clustering becomes available - will an

external database be a requirement? In a perfect

(read expensive) Jive Messenger world - I could have

a cluster of Linux servers connected to a an external

database that is based on Oracle RAC for true High

Availability.

Yep, an external database would definitely be required. Oracle RAC is a good choice. For our commercial products (which support clustering), we also have people using clustered MySQL.

-Matt