Dates in Chat rooms, Blocking users talking to each other, and other questi

Hi All,

I have just set up Openfire v3.3.1 and I am using Spark 2.5.3 as the client. It seems like a really great product. I have two questions which have been asked before by others, sometime ago, that have not really been answered.

1. Is there a way to change the date on a chat room. So that it displays for each day. as per this post http://www.igniterealtime.org/forum/thread.jspa?messageID=138428&#138428

E.g.

This…

Thursday January 24th 2007

9:05 PM John: Test msg

9:15 PM Jane: Test Answer

Friday January 25th 2007

11:23 AM John: Look at that the date is showing so I can see historical date/time

11:24 AM Jane: Yeah, that’‘s nice so we don’'t need the date stamp on every message.

Rather than this…

Thursday January 24th 2007

9:05 PM John: Test msg

9:15 PM Jane: Test Answer

11:23 AM John: Look at that the date is showing so I can see historical date/time

11:24 AM Jane: Yeah, that’‘s nice so we don’'t need the date stamp on every message.

1. Can you prevent users from talking to each other I think this is sometimes refered to as “Chinese Walls, Ethical Walls, Castle Walls”. I have seen lots of feature requests going back a couple of years, has this been implemented in any versions yet.

2. Is there anyway to lock down the settings in spark from the server?.

3. Is there anyway to enforce password policies?

Thanks in advance

Hi Carl,

@1: no idea

@2: no, one user is developing such a plugin (“disable IM”) but no release is available yet. JM-349 is the official open issue.

@3: The Enterprise Plugin allows to disable some things like “File Transfer” and “change vCard” and I think one can also get a skinned version with a hard-coded server name. But that’'s far away from all settings.

@4: use LDAP (AD) or any other external user auth provider of a system with a password policy, Openfire does not have one.

LG

Regarding item #1. No, it does not do this. This could be added as a customization. It would be a simple process that kicks off at midnight every night and broadcasts all the conference rooms that contain users with the new date.

Could you give me a clue about how to get started with this, I don’'t expect you to do it for me, I just need a point in the right direction to get started.

Thanks