Difficulties Installing Openfire 3.8.2 (Post-Install Setup)

Doesn’t feel as easy as it’s been advertised to me.

Caveats:

• I’m installing it with an Embedded Database- Honestly I don’t feel the need for a lot of features here.
  • I’m installing it as Active Directory-integrated- which seems to be the crux of my headaches here.

Problem:

• The home stretch- when I go to add an Admin user, I get the message that no valid user was specified. I get the impression this is because the ActiveDirectory/LDAP information I’ve supplied is somehow incorrect. I’m honestly not claiming to have compendious knowledge of LDAP and it’s possible I’m getting it wrong.
  • The Test Settings button does diddly- though I understand that this is for some reason a well-documented (yet unaddressed) issue.
  • Conflicting information about how I should be entering things in the Setup fields - for instance, at the Server Settings screen, the first field is titled “Domain”, yet the ? bubble to the right of it says it should be the name of “this server”. Would that be the server that Openfire is running on? If it is, why am I reading that Openfire expects the server’s name and the domain to be the same thing (I can rarely think of an instance where you’d see this sort of coincidence)?

Assumptions:

• “Domain” field- I am hearing this is meant to contain the FQDN of the server that is running Openfire, in which case: “cmi-com.columbiamanufacturing.local”
  • Base DN - as the domain name is “columbiamanufacturing.local” I rather imagine that makes the Base DN: “ou=Users;dc=ColumbiaManufacturing,dc=local”
  • Admin DN- I’ve been told using the default administrator account is acceptable, in which case: “CN=Administrator,CN=Users,DC=ColumbiaManufacturing,DC=local”

Again, all in all, I’m feeling that this is all the way around the world from “easy”. I’m missing something and the sparse instructions provided in the setup process aren’t helping me figure out what that ‘something’ is.

Message was edited by: Cmiserable

Been a day now. I’m genuinely stuck here.

I’ve tried reading numerous accounts of installations of the product, and they all lead me to the same set of (apparently) non-working assumptions. If anyone out there has any useful advice, I’d appreciate it.

hi,

i have also tried a lot, and finally i managed to run the whole administration part without error.

perhaps, i can help you with something…or you can help me. Where exactly are you stuck? My problem is, that i cannot access openfire adminpanel via something else than localhost. which is a pita when working remote

Daniel

I wish I were far along enough here to say I have that particular problem. This is my first Rodeo with this product, so pretty much everything I know about it stops just short of the point I’m stuck at.

My own problem pertains to the post-installation Setup process- where one chooses a database and authentication options. I suppose the title of my thread might be better described, come to think of it.

Basically put, I’m no whiz at LDAP, but using what I’ve been told I’ve muddled through this process over and over, and every time I go to add the first admin account- at the end of the setup process- it fails to add the account, citing that the name is wrong, the name can’t be found, or maybe the LDAP server can’t be found (which is a hell of a lot of possible wrong items).

It feels to me as though the LDAP information (I’m trying to use Active Directory here) is somehow wrong and it’s not even making the connection to my domain controller, but I’m not positve of that.

I know I’m missing something, but the setup process doesn’t make it easy to pare down what I’m doing wrong here. Just meaninglessly beating my head against a wall until I figure it out at random, I suppose.

make your base dn the root of your AD

base dn (domain.local)

dc=domain,dc=local

than for your ldap lookup account use (account does NOT have to be an admin account. a regular user account will work)

account@domain.local

The test account function doesn’t work…so skip through. Then when you get to the end, add the user account that you want to be admin.

You can then filter out the other information using search filters later.

Also…I would recommend using an external database. It will make things so much easier for you. I tend to use ms sql express, just because thats what I’m most familar with.

Sorry, i just entered the default setting for the LDAP, so i can’t help you there…what was crucial for me was, that the user running openfire needs a home directory where the .install4j file is stored. Also the logfiles where not set properly because the openfireHome Variable was not read. Initally there was an error for this, which went away after i changed the owner of the openfire directory…i had changed everything in there to jive:jive, but that didn’t make the trick with the logfiles.

Therefore i edited the log4j.xml in the lib/ folder and replaced the Variable with a static path to /var/log/openfire which had to be created and chowned. What do your logfiles tell you?

Aaaand that’s precisely my problem. I’ve done everything you describe- in many variations- and EVERY time I come down to adding my first admin, it fails.

I don’t know what it is I’m doing wrong, nor can I come close with what little I understand of the product and of LDAP, so I keep changing minor details, and I keep ending up at the same place: it fails.

I don’t feel the need for the extra features an external database provides. And in any case when I can’t even get past the setup phase, whether I’m using an external database or not isn’t really much on my mind.

I’d just like to finish setting it up so I can test it- and see what I think I need and don’t.

init-1045 wrote:

What do your logfiles tell you?

Following the failed Administrator Account add, this:

2014.01.21 10:23:11 org.jivesoftware.database.DbConnectionManager - Access is denied: Session is closed

java.sql.SQLException: Access is denied: Session is closed

at org.hsqldb.jdbc.Util.sqlException(Unknown Source)

at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcStatement.fetchResult(Unknown Source)

at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcStatement.executeQuery(Unknown Source)

at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcDatabaseMetaData.execute(Unknown Source)

at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcDatabaseMetaData.getDatabaseProductName(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at org.logicalcobwebs.proxool.ProxyDatabaseMetaData.intercept(ProxyDatabaseMetaDat a.java:60)

at $java.sql.DatabaseMetaData$$EnhancerByProxool$$5d3f121a.getDatabaseProductName( )

at org.jivesoftware.database.DbConnectionManager.setMetaData(DbConnectionManager.j ava:825)

at org.jivesoftware.database.DbConnectionManager.setConnectionProvider(DbConnectio nManager.java:621)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.setup.setup_002ddatasource_002dsettings_jsp._js pService(setup_002ddatasource_002dsettings_jsp.java:155)

at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:547)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1359)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:11 8)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1330)

at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:74)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1330)

at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingF ilter.java:50)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:78)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:164)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:478)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:119)

at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:520)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:22 7)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:94 1)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:409)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:186 )

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:875 )

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:117)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandler Collection.java:250)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.jav a:149)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:110)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:349)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:441)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConne ction.java:919)

at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:582)

at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:218)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AsyncHttpConnection.handle(AsyncHttpConnection.java:51 )

at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.handle(SelectChannelEndPoint.jav a:586)

at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint$1.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java :44)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:598 )

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:533)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I don’t know how to fix this with internal db, but i can tell you how to make it work with mysql…are you running on a server or a desktop? Do you already have a mysql installation?

You’ll have to pardon me.

See, I’m thinking the locus of the problem has everything to do with not successfully integrating it with ActiveDirectory- as I would very much like to.

I’m thinking that what sort of Database I’m choosing here (embedded or not) isn’t the problem, and won’t even have the opportunity to become a problem till I deal with the problem I currently have.

That said, I might be wrong. But before I go worrying about something that feels very much like it has nothing to do with the problem I’m having: am I wrong?

On the second look, the error seems to be old…is there any entry in any openfire related logfile that is as actual as your latest failed try?

Despite on what Database you use…if the program can’t access it, this is most likely a problem you have to solve sooner or later, and the sooner the better.

Hard to say. The program doesn’t seem to have actually written anything to the error log since the 21st- around the time I started trying to install it.

What I can decipher of the error text I get each time I start the server almost looks like it’s a permissions issue:

log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.

java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files (x86)\Openfire\bin…\logs\debug.log (Access is denied)

at java.io.FileOutputStream.openAppend(Native Method)

at java.io.FileOutputStream.(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.setFile(FileAppender.java:289)

at org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender.setFile(RollingFileAppender.java:167)

at org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.activateOptions(FileAppender.java:163)

at org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.activate(PropertySetter.java:256)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parseAppender(DOMConfigurator.java:220)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.findAppenderByName(DOMConfigurator.java:15 0)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.findAppenderByReference(DOMConfigurator.ja va:163)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parseChildrenOfLoggerElement(DOMConfigurat or.java:425)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parseRoot(DOMConfigurator.java:394)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parse(DOMConfigurator.java:829)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.doConfigure(DOMConfigurator.java:712)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.doConfigure(DOMConfigurator.java:618)

at org.apache.log4j.helpers.OptionConverter.selectAndConfigure(OptionConverter.jav a:470)

at org.apache.log4j.LogManager.(LogManager.java:122)

at org.slf4j.impl.Log4jLoggerFactory.getLogger(Log4jLoggerFactory.java:73)

at org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.getLogger(LoggerFactory.java:242)

at org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.getLogger(LoggerFactory.java:254)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.(XMPPServer.java:150)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.start(ServerStarter.java:113)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.main(ServerStarter.java:58)

at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files (x86)\Openfire\bin…\logs\info.log (Access is denied)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.findAppenderByName(DOMConfigurator.java:15 0)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.findAppenderByReference(DOMConfigurator.ja va:163)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parseChildrenOfLoggerElement(DOMConfigurat or.java:425)

at org.apache.log4j.helpers.OptionConverter.selectAndConfigure(OptionConverter.jav a:470)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.start(ServerStarter.java:113)

java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files (x86)\Openfire\bin…\logs\warn.log (Access is denied)

java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files (x86)\Openfire\bin…\logs\error.log (Access is denied)

So, I uninstalled Openfire entirely and deleted it’s Program Files folder just to be sure I had a clean purge here, then I began again.

Following entering my LDAP infomration for Active Directory (and get to the Add Administrator Account step), I get this:

javax.naming.AuthenticationException: [LDAP: error code 49 - 80090308: LdapErr: DSID-0C0903C5, comment: AcceptSecurityContext error, data 52e, v23f0 ]

at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.mapErrorCode(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.processReturnCode(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.processReturnCode(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.connect(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory.getUsingURL(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory.getUsingURLs(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory.getLdapCtxInstance(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory.getInitialContext(Unknown Source)

at javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getInitialContext(Unknown Source)

at javax.naming.InitialContext.getDefaultInitCtx(Unknown Source)

at javax.naming.InitialContext.init(Unknown Source)

at javax.naming.ldap.InitialLdapContext.(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.util.JiveInitialLdapContext.(JiveInitialLdapContext.java :43)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapManager.getContext(LdapManager.java:535)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapManager.findUserDN(LdapManager.java:938)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapManager.findUserDN(LdapManager.java:891)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.setup.setup_002dadmin_002dsettings_jsp._jspServ ice(setup_002dadmin_002dsettings_jsp.java:176)

at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:547)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1359)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:11 8)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)

at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:74)

at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingF ilter.java:50)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:78)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:164)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:478)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:119)

at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:520)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:22 7)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:94 1)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:409)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:186 )

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:875 )

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:117)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandler Collection.java:250)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.jav a:149)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:110)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:349)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:441)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.j ava:936)

at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:801)

at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:224)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AsyncHttpConnection.handle(AsyncHttpConnection.java:51 )

at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.handle(SelectChannelEndPoint.jav a:586)

at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint$1.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java :44)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:598 )

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:533)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

this problem can be solved by changing the logging location in the lib/log4j.xml file to a path where the user running Openfire (perhaps taskmanager shows that info) has write access to.

this seems to be helpful:

http://forums.devshed.com/ldap-programming-76/javax-naming-authenticationexcepti on-ldap-error-code-49-80090308-ldaperr-dsid–121363.html

That seems somewhat nonsensical. Not your solution so much as the error itself.

As I am logged into this server as the Domain Administrator- the Holiest of Holies- there is no place I do not have write access to.

What’s more nonsensical is that I noticed the path it’s attempting to write the log to:

“C:\Program Files (x86)\Openfire\bin…\logs”

Is not a place where logs are stored upon installing the program. The logs are in fact stored here:

“C:\Program Files (x86)\Openfire\logs”

Which might explain why it can’t write to anything- there’s nothing there to write to.

In any case I wiped out the install because the level of silliness here- specifically the sort of level that occurs when the code of a configuration doesn’t respect the program’s OWN default install locations for logfiles- is about where I pull my ripcord.

I was having the same troubles, this is what I did to get it to work:

host: omnidc08.corp.omniamerican.org

Base DN: “DC=corp,DC=omniamerican,DC=org”

Administrator DN: “CN=Chalkley, Jeff,OU=IT Operations,OU=Information Technology,OU=Back Office,DC=corp,DC=omniamerican,DC=org”

was having issues with LDAP, then it worked (quite unexpectedly), then I wanted to make a small change (the admin user) and hosed everything up. This has prompted me to re-install the whole thing (as you suggest here is the issue with the embedded DB) and now I’m running into the same LDAP issues I was before.

I don’t exactly know how I solved them the first time around- but now I’m additionally experiencing an issue where- after the first failure to add an admin user- I can’t get past the database portion. Trying to continue with the Embedded Database option results in “the openfire database schema doesn’t appear to be installed, please consult the installation guide to fix this”.

And helpfully the installation guide has nothing to say- of course.

Honestly I’m not too keen on adding the additional complications of first setting up a MySQL database (never done it) and then attempting to connect it to LDAP (which I’m already having serious issues with)- but I now see the point in it.

Back to square one. I’m going to try some of the ideas I’m seeing here tomorrow, see if it gets me anywhere…

It hasn’t gotten me anywhere.

There’s some nuance here I’m not fully understanding- and it’s to do with that LDAP information for Active Directory. The common issue I have is of course that I can’t add an admin account. The console keeps telling me it’s a bad username or doesn’t exist. I think this is because Openfire is not authenticating to Active Directory.

The error I consistently get is 49, which is- as I understand it- basically bad credentials. Don’t really know why though. I’ve tried the LDAP DNs with quotes, without quotes, with case sensitivity, without case sensitivity…

…really not certain what I’m doing wrong here.

Now I know…

The problem was not LDAP settings, as it turns out. The problem is that- when you go to add an admin account at the very last step, I’m thinking (because every guide I’ve read on the topic says so) that it needs to be written

“username@domain”

And this is not what the setup console is in fact expecting at ALL. Just…

“username”

…will apparently suffice. Now after I’ve beaten my forehead flat over this, I dearly wish this were CLEAR in the instructions. Could save a lot of people a lot of pain here.