Disable General Group in roster

Gato,

Seems that some bugs have not been fixed entirely on the 01-28-05 release.

Example, when selecting “Show group to members’’ rosters of these groups:” and you select groups below it will only highlight those groups that are one word long. In other words will highlight groups such as QA, NOC or Management but won’'t highlight Call Center, Agent Support or Tech Support.

Furthermore still when people sign off my roster does not auto-update, same thing when they sign back on.

Thank you!

Still getting some oddities with Shared Roster Groups. Not sure if presence detection is working properly with this, nor does it seem to be properly tracking group changes. I setup 3 mock groups (for now, single word groups per above post to avoid more issues) and put some valid users from our Active Directory in them. I had a couple other users test this with me. We happened to all be in the same group. I added myself to another group and they saw me in both groups. As soon as I removed myself from the group I started in (and the one they were in) and put myself in a different one, I could no longer see the group our users from my old list. They could see me in my new group, but not as online. I finally show all 3 groups after restarting the server entirely, but presense isn’'t working. Everyone shows as offline to me right now, but they see me as online. I can send messages to me, but I have no indication they are online.

Anyway, It’‘s hard to track exactly what is going on, but I’'ll provide more details as I muck around with this. The big issues I see right now with shared group rosters and LDAP is presense detection and moving a user around in groups (and being forced to bring the server down for certain updates to shared stuff).

Anyway, I’'ll provide what info I can to help iron this out. There seems to be a lot of hit and miss with the shared groups and presence detection.

Keep up the good work.

Hey Swad,

I think that you have hit this issue: JM-148. Were your groups configured with this option “Show group in all users’’ rosters”?

Thanks,

– Gato

Negative. I am using “Show group to members’’ rosters of these groups.” “Show group in all users’’ rosters” is a disaster for me as it by default creates this extra “General” group on the client that populates with EVERY entity in the baseDN that I haven’‘t assigned to a group in the Jive admin console. By “every,” I mean security groups, computers, distribution groups, service accounts–lots of non-user stuff. As this winds up being a show-stopper issue when using "Show group in all users’’ rosters," I haven’'t experiemented with it any more.

When using “Show group to members’’ rosters of these groups,” I select all other groups I have created except for the group I am manipulating itself. I think the issue I speak of (from my last post) is actually kindof diverting from the initial post of this thread, and may be a whole other issue in and of itself.

“Show group in all users’’ rosters”

is a disaster for me as it by default creates this

extra “General” group on the client that populates

with EVERY entity in the baseDN that I haven’'t

assigned to a group in the Jive admin console.

Actually, that should be fixed in 2.1.1. Let us know if it’'s not for you.

Regards,

Matt

Unless I did something wrong, it’'s still there for me. Tried earlier today and there was that massive list of the entire AD minus the 3 groups I created and the users that were in them.

Carlos,

In tomorrow’'s nightly build you will find a fix for this problem:

Example, when selecting "Show group to members’’

rosters of these groups:" and you select groups below

it will only highlight those groups that are one word

long. In other words will highlight groups such as

QA, NOC or Management but won’'t highlight Call

Center, Agent Support or Tech Support.

Thanks,

– Gato

Swad,

Have you tried manually deleting those users from your general group and logging off and back on? It seems as your client remembers the users that were in the general group and will not auto-remove them. I had the same issue you had with users from a group I was not a part of that will autopopulate under my general group but were not ‘‘avaialble’’. I installed 2.1.1 and manually removed those users and when I sign back on they are no longer there.

Just for kicks, I gave this a shot and it worked (deleted entries from General and relogging). But that’‘s roughly 275 unnecessary entries to remove for every client we install. It seems even on a fresh install that this “General” group populates itself. I uninstalled Psi (using latest version–0.9.3), removed the settings directory it puts in the user’‘s Document and Settings folder, and made certain it totally removed the install directory upon uninstall (which it did), then did a fresh install. First login populates this General group along with my premade rosters. Am I missing some obvious step? That’‘s entirely possible, but I’‘m not seeing it as of yet. I’‘ll try another client here shortly, but think i’'ll start out by making everything fresh and totally removing all clients and server instances again.

EDIT: another fresh install of Jive Messenger and a new client install on a machine which previously didn’'t have Psi on it yielded the same results. First time logging in still creates and populates this General group. Deleted users from this General group works and persists between client restarts, but by no means is a real solution given how many things populate this general group.