Disabling broadcasts to groups

does anyone know of a way to disable users abilities to send broadcast messages to groups they are members of?

a colleague and I are doing a test of a wildfire/spark implementation. our test subjects are a group of geeks who are sitting around the office too much and getting bored and who are starting to realize that they can spam by sending broadcast messages to everyone in their groups. hours of fun, or so I am told.

if we go with a larger scale implementation (circa 150+ users) and levels of boredom persist in our organization, this could suddenly become really aggravating. you’‘d think people would exercise some self restraint, but I’'ve yet to see evidence of this.

so, I want to turn this feature/curse off. any clues? I’‘ve tried by removing the broadcast plugin from wildfire, but it doesn’'t seem to do very much for me, and in hindsight may have been a foolish thing to do.

Hi Fooksie,

By any change did you get an answer for disabling brodcast?

I really need to disable that feature, my company has 500+ users and it will be a problem if they starting broadcast.

Thanks.

Marcos Guerra

Hi Marcos,

I must have missed this one when it was posted. I assume you are not using the broadcast plug-in http://www.jivesoftware.org/wildfire/plugins/broadcast/readme.html but the client feature “Send to Group” which sends a single message to every user in the roster.

As it is a client feature this forum is right, one should request a new feature[/b] that this can be disabled.

Maybe Spark 1.1 (should be released 9th Feb) already has this feature, otherwise Gato or Matt are very pleased to implement it. Otherwise you’'d have to use another client.

LG

This option (DISABLE_BROADCAST_MENU_ITEM) will finally be available in Spark version 2.8.2