Discussion about Community Contribution

Coolcat wrote:

For real discussions we could use the Openfire Dev forum, I think that was the idea behind that forum

Yeah. But this forum is filled with various posts like asking for help to implement different features and so on. I was speaking about discussing the fixes. It’s already hard to keep up with the support forums and i often miss some interesting and important threads. I thought it could be useful to have some isolated (not closed or hidden) space for such things.

Anyway, this discussion should lead to some conclusions. Maybe we should create a document or a thread (maybe in Openfire Dev) for Fixes. Actually Daryl already has created such document. Maybe we should all subscribe to one thread and all new patches should be posted on that thread and after discussion added to JIRA and onto that list.

Hi,

a contributor group may be needed, but I wonder how much ‘active’ developers there will be. Anyhow one must decide which issues must be solved for the next release. Then one will likely use JIRA to assign the issues. It does not really matter whether such a discussion is held and made public or not - a temporary MUC could be fine. I did not see anyone (except for the vulnerabilities) complain about the way Igniterealtime did decide what to implement or fix next.

LG

It’s hard to decide without trying. So, i’m going to create a group after all. It will be open for reading and joining. I will send invites to some of the active community members and i think to Matt and Gato (hope they will join it). It’s up to you to join, participate in that group or still use the main forums for that. For me it would be much easier to watch some small “forum” than crawling through the main forums. Also we can discuss and announce our chat sessions there, which could be held in the same Open Chat room. If there will be a need to discuss something in real time without waiting till the next Wednesday.

And the 3) question in my first post. Will we ask for a community moderator of Ignite site? At least for cleaning the forums/documents and setting the announcements when there is a need.

And the 3) question in my first post. Will we ask for a community moderator of Ignite site?
We should at least ask to give some of us moderation rights for the new contributers group. At least it should be possible to move or close dicussions that are offtopic in that group. Unfortunately there seem always to be people that use a random forum to create there discussion…(example) This would reduce effort to keep up to date for people that don’t have much time.

wroot created that group already:

http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/groups/contributors