Does the Gateway know about my real idendity?

Hello!

Lets say my Openfire-JID is MisterCEO@boring-company.com but in order to have some internet fun I use an MSN/Yahoo account named ipodmaniac@yahoo.com or so. Of course it would be cool to do this all from within the same company spark client via the gateway plugin but can I really be sure, that the Gateway does not have access to my full profile in order to protect my real name, phone, etc.??

Is there any fundamental difference between using Spark->Gateway to Yahoo & Co instead of using their own client besides maybe some missing functions? Does the other guy is able to lookup my client version?

Bye

Starry

starry99 wrote:

Hello!

Lets say my Openfire-JID is MisterCEO@boring-company.com but in order to have some internet fun I use an MSN/Yahoo account named ipodmaniac@yahoo.com or so. Of course it would be cool to do this all from within the same company spark client via the gateway plugin but can I really be sure, that the Gateway does not have access to my full profile in order to protect my real name, phone, etc.??

Well, interestingly enough that “conflicts” with another issue that was discussed. At least one individual wanted their nickname from their vcard to be represented through MSN. So it sounds like if I add support for populating your profile “as much as possible” from your vcard, I will need to make it optional.

More to the point of answering your question, the gateway plugin does not do anything with vcards at all right now. No support what-so-ever for it.

Is there any fundamental difference between using Spark->Gateway to Yahoo & Co instead of using their own client besides maybe some missing functions? Does the other guy is able to lookup my client version?

Not really except that in some cases I do actually announce our client version as something like “IM Gateway Plugin” or something like that. (IRC for example) MSN we announce ourselves as a particular version of the real MSN client.

Does that answer your question?

Daniel

BTW, GATE-317 is the issue I was referring to. Would you mind commenting on it regarding your thoughts on NOT providing that information beyond the gateways?

jadestorm wrote:

Well, interestingly enough that “conflicts” with another issue that was discussed. At least one individual wanted their nickname from their vcard to be represented through MSN. So it sounds like if I add support for populating your profile “as much as possible” from your vcard, I will need to make it optional.

Hmm, as always, people would like to have a choice. I can really see the need to have different idendities.

If enough people insist on using their profile with MSN, Yahoo and ICQ, then how about convincing these big boys opening up to XMMP. Then we dont need no gateways…

Does that answer your question?

YES it does so completely!

Bye

Starry