Echo messages to sender?

Is there a way to set up Jive to “echo” messages back to the sender?

I’‘ve made a simple Smack client application. If one user sends a message to another, I have the client echo the message in the sender’'s GUI after sending. The problem is that the sender sees the message whether or not the receiver got the message. Also, the sender and receiver can see messages in different orders.

For example, let’'s say joe and jim are chatting. Joe send three messages “1”, “2”, and “3”. Jim sends three messages “a”, “b” and “c”.

I’'d like each to see:

joe: 1

jim: a

joe: 2

jim: b

joe: 3

jim: c

But joe might see:

While jim sees:

Or jim might even see (“b” never arrives):

It seems to me that the best way to get jim and joe seeing the same messages in the same sequence is to have the server send messages to both the receiver AND sender. Messages could still get lost, but at least they’'d be in the same order. Also the sender could feel more confident that the message got to the server. That is, I could make the client only show messages that it receives instead of faking it by showing messages it thinks it sent.

Hope that makes sense and is not just rambling over some simple setting… No. Actually I hope it is a simple setting issue … But I hope I’'m not just adding noise to this forum.

Thanks in advance,

Chris