Editing basic user settings

Hello,

I just got up and going with OpenFire and SparkWeb over the past day or so, but the one thing that I can’t seem to find is a way for my users to edit basic account info like changing their password, display name(nick), and other things via SparkWeb. Am I missing something obvious? The usual chat commands(/me, /nick) seem to not be detected by the client either.

I’m alright with building a portal site that lets users register and manage their settings via some php to edit their entries in a MySQL database, but that seems like a hack. Is there a way to edit basic user info via SparkWeb?

You’ll have to forgive me if I come across as demanding, aside from the above issues, I’ve been thoroughly impressed with the platform and it’s capabilities.

Cant tell much, but i think noone will answer as SparkWeb is nearly a dead project. I think you cant do those things with this very basic web client. I suggest to look for red5 SparkWeb version and maybe try to contact Dele (author of red5), maybe he can add such things to his version. Here’s one of the latest versions http://red5.4ng.net/red5-0.1.11.zip

The Red5 plugin for Openfire is almost a dead project as well because the latest version of the Red5 server (0.8) has broken the plugin. The good news however is that I have been working on another project called Redfire which makes Red5 part of Openfire server directly instead of being a plugin and uses SparkWeb as the client. It is still months away from release as there is a lot of work involved in making audio, video, conferencing and a SIP video phone work properly with XMPP.

In any case, the XMPP protocol does not currently enable users to change their passwords.

Nicknames can be changed in SparkWeb by editing the user profile. I think it is a right click on the name or avatar.

In Redfire, there is a new preferences tab in the profile window to edit lots of user preferences that gets stored in the user’s private data.

wroot wrote:

Cant tell much, but i think noone will answer as SparkWeb is nearly a dead project. I think you cant do those things with this very basic web client. I suggest to look for red5 SparkWeb version and maybe try to contact Dele (author of red5), maybe he can add such things to his version. Here’s one of the latest versions http://red5.4ng.net/red5-0.1.11.zip

As mentioned that “SparkWeb is nearly a dead project”, I wonder if there’s any good recommendation on web client that integrates well with openfire 3.6.4? For red5 SparkWeb, may I ask where I can get the source and more information? Actually, I just decided to use SparkWeb as I need to use web client instead of downloadable version like Spark. Suddenly out of my expectation about SparkWeb roadmap…

Appreciate if anyone can provide some recommendations if I need web client that integrates with OpenFire with text, voice and conference functionalities. Thanks a lot!