Embebed database

i’‘ve installed jivemessenger with the embebed database. it’'s working fine. what i wanna know is how many simultaneous users it can handle? here we have 900. maybe installing mysql is better? if the embebed can handle… its more simple.

i wanna sugestions, please.

regards,

Rodrigo.

Hi,

The embedded database is hypersonic, and while it will of course work with any number of users, at install time it is suggested not to use the embedded database for production environments.

The reason for this I think are

1. you will not be able to access the database with a separate db tool while JM is running - this is vital for a production DB system.

2. although the database is persistent between server restarts, it will be effectively running “in-memory”, this could cause problems for you hardware spec - you may need more memory etc.

3. A standalone DB can be tuned, run on a different machine and you can connect

another JM to it for fail over purposes.

In any case its trivial to connect to another database of your choice, Oracle, mysql, postgres, basically whatever suits your budget and business requirements.

Hope that clears it up,

Conor

ok, i’'ve undesrtand why not use the embebed db.

i’‘ll use mysql. i just installed a new jive messenger, and in the configuration for mysql there is an question about the minimum and maximum number for the pool (??? what is that?, sorry about my english, i’'m using the portuguese translation), it have between 5 and 15. wich number should i put?

to complete my answer, this server will run about 900 users simultaneously (about 4000 users registered) every day.

if you could help me even more, wich machine do i put this server?

today it is running on a desktop (PIII 1.1, 256 RAM), with jabberd 1.4.2 and mysql

thanks for all the help,

Rodrigo.

more RAM is suggested. BTW, what OS are you going to use? Windows, Linux, other?

I think Embedded-DB can handle all your users, but Conor has described all advanteges of external DBs.

yes, i’'ll use mysql.

the OS is slackware 10.0

so, wich configuration?

if this server will be stripped down only for Jive Messenger it could handle a big number of users. I mean linux is a better solution than Windows based server, IMHO. But you still need as much RAM as you can get. This is Java, and large number of users. Can you get at least 512MB? Processor is not such important there. Well, devs can explain that better I’'m only a user

if that helps, i’'m running JM on IBM 500MHz 64MB RAM for ~70 users (Archlinux 0.7). JM is using swap all the time now, but it still works pretty fast.

i just installed a new jive

messenger, and in the configuration for mysql there

is an question about the minimum and maximum number

for the pool (??? what is that?, sorry about my

english, i’'m using the portuguese translation)

Those settings define the connection pool size. For efficiency lots of applications that access a database pool (group and reuse) connections. That means that you define a minimum set of connections that are kept open and a maximum number of connections that should be made. Connection pools share their connections with the application and recycle them afterwards, this way you don’'t need the connect-overhead (the connection should already be there).

I’'m sure someone else can tell you more about it, if you are interested.

Concerning the numbers: I’'ve no experience with your number of users, so I cannot recommend a setting, sorry…

Ben

the server will be for jabber and ntp (it’'s a simple service and does not require processor or memory a lot). so, the PIII 1.1 with 512 is enough, you think so? I forgot to tell you that some users use the web client. what do you think?

ok, but in your guess, what the number do you put in my place?

i don’'t have neither the knoledgement or idea of what to put…

first of all we dont know what load you’‘ll have (how much people messaging, not just hanging, and etc etc) And i dont have any experience running such number of users with JM (and not with other servers). So you can put anything you want? As i said RAM is preffered. It’'s hard to give advice about that.

as i said, it’‘s for about 900 users at the same time (about 4000 registered). the use here is heavy, it’‘s for an state’'s government use…