Error since updating to 1.10

I no longer see my gateway buddies when they are online since version 1.1.0 upgrade. I have tried reverting spark back to version 2.5.3 as well as running it on linux and windows. All show same thing. Offline gateway buddies show in offline group. When they go online they just disappear.

What the… the fact that they “just disappear” when they go offline is completely baffling but as for not seeing online people, is there a particular transport you are referring to? What transports do you use? Clearly I wouldn’t have out put a release where you can’t see any buddies online, so yeah. Lets see if we can’t figure out what’s going on.

So when my gateway buddies are offline they show in the offline buddies list in spark. When they are online the don’t show anywhere, but I can chat with them if they initiate.

This coould be related to private data on the openfire server. Other users in my company appear to be fine. How do I clear the private data for a user in the openfire server?

Hrm. And this wasn’t occuring in 1.0.2? How bizarre! It almost sounds like the ICQ status parsing is going stupid on me.

Also what do you mean by private data?

I doubt it is the ICQ we don’t use that gateway. I have Yahoo and AOL buddies. Private Data setting in the open fire server allows the users preferences to be stored on the server instead of local so the settings roam with them from machine to machine.

I turned off Private Data and the error still occurred on login. I then exited spark, deleted all local preferences files. Logged in and the problem was gone. Re-enabled Private Data and the problem is still gone. Something in the 1.1.0 gateway plugin triggered it I think. Everything was fine until I installed that plugin and restarted the server.

Hrm. Well I don’t know what to tell you if you’ve already fixed it and can’t reproduce it anymore. It seems unlikely that the plugin could have triggered such an event but clearly you ran into -something- so… I dunno, lemme know if it occurs again?

I don’t really want to repeat it. To do so I would have to downgrade to the 1.0.2 plugin and reupgrade.

I’m not suggesting that you should. =) Just saying if it happens again, lets see if we can figure out what’s -really- happening.

the other variable is I created custom groups to put my gateway buddies in. They also just up and vanished. The other gateway users did not have custome groups.

My linux machine still seems to suffer from the affliction, but I do not know where the preferences are stored for individual users for spark on linux.

Lessee… ok the only thing I can think of that could be related here is that I switched from using “both” for the subscription to “to”. This reduces the amount of traffic sent (for no reason) by a very large number because each individual contact does not care about your specific presence, they see your presence via the transport itself. (ie, the transport needs to hear your presence, not the individual AIM users… AIM itself will tell them) None-the-less, I wonder if Spark is “confused” and cached something. Doesn’t make a ton of sense, but it’s “something to think about”. =/

I don’t know where the preferences are stored either unfortunately, otherwise I’d point you right at them. =/

None-the-less, this is a good indication that something client side was unable to deal with something that changed in the plugin. Just need to track down exactly what occured. I’d love to look at a preferences store somewhere and see what all is being saved. Hunting around to see if I can find it under OS X.

mtstravel wrote:

the other variable is I created custom groups to put my gateway buddies in. They also just up and vanished. The other gateway users did not have custome groups.

If you log in with a -real- AIM client, can you see the buddies that you moved into a new group?

Ok so I got it to happen again. I was logged in to my real Yahoo client which had no buddies. I added 2 new ones and my budies group has vanished again. I do see the buddies in AOL fine including my custom group name.

The only thing that got my groups back this last time was logging in with each of the official chat client for each of the gateways.

mtstravel wrote:

Ok so I got it to happen again. I was logged in to my real Yahoo client which had no buddies. I added 2 new ones and my budies group has vanished again. I do see the buddies in AOL fine including my custom group name.

You don’t happen to have debugging turned on do you? It would be very helpful if I could look over the debug logs when you are performing these actions and they are not working so I can try to figure out what’s going on. =(

Unfortunately I will not be able to access the server logs until Monday, and I do not think debug is turned on. But I will turn it on first thing, since I can cause the error by running my linux version of spark that has the old preferences.

That would be awesome! Thank you!

It appears that I am having the same problem. Do not see online contacts from MSN or AIM. (Not that I have many contacts in MSN)

Openfire v3.3.2 and Spark 2.5.5. I can email a debug log too if you want.