Error verifying key of remote server

Can someone please shed some light on this error message I am getting a flood of in my logs. I’m not sure if it is the culprit but I am trying to track down something that is causing my server to run for a couple hours then simply crash to the point where I have to reboot the windows server in order for it to come back online. For the record I am running windows server 2k3 4 gig ram using openfire 3.4.4

Any ideas?

2008.01.28 22:50:52 Error verifying key of remote server: jabber.ru

java.net.SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.ServerDialback.verifyKey(ServerDialback.java:5 23)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.ServerDialback.validateRemoteDomain(ServerDial back.java:465)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.ServerDialback.createIncomingSession(ServerDia lback.java:349)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalIncomingServerSession.createSession(Loca lIncomingServerSession.java:101)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.ServerSocketReader.createSession(ServerSocketRead er.java:211)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SocketReader.createSession(SocketReader.java:390)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.BlockingReadingMode.run(BlockingReadingMode.java: 53)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SocketReader.run(SocketReader.java:119)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I am receiving this error on s2s connctions to gmail.com, google.com, and googlemail.com. Did you solve this problem?

Apparently this is a “known” issue with the Google servers and Openfire, but I have yet to see any progress being made or really anything official from any Jive employees.

What? I’ve responded to like 3 threads on it and talked about it in the weekly chat! There’s even an open issue for it. hehehe

Sorry, I didn’t mean to be accusative. I guess I’m just frustrated because the cause hasn’t seemed to be found. There has been help offered and a bug filed, but I don’t think I have seen any real progress on the issue yet. I definitely missed the chat transcript, so I’ll check it out. Thanks, jadestorm

Crap, did I -post- the chat transcript? I think I forgot to!!!

As for “real progress”, I’ve been investigating it. It’s unfortunately been very hard to track down. I can reproduce aspects of it but then I run into other issues. I plan on doing some serious focused work on it tomorrow without interruption. I have a server to test with so that’s helping. =D

Wait a minute… you are running 3.4.4?? Not 3.5.0? So far all of the reported s2s problems are for 3.5.0!

I think the real question here is how long this might take to be fixed.

It is fine in my book if a beta or RC has such deficiency, but for an actual release to not be able to communicate with probably the largest XMPP user base on the net is not cool. Maybe a word of warning at the point of download or pulling the release from production would be in order?

It is important to note that I’m sure the openfire guys are all over this problem, at the end of the day it is in their best interest to make this work properly. In the chat Daniel did mention a possibility of a 3.5.1 release slated for Monday that hopefully will have this fix rolled in.

No, this thread was hijacked I am running the latest 3.5 release now. Let me know if you need any help in debugging jadestorm, I’m happy to do what I can.

The plan is for the fix to be in 3.5.1. It’s also hard to know what the real problem is with google talk because google talk themselves have had a number of problems (there’s been talk about it on their forums). 3.5.1 has been moved to Thursday though.

There’s related issues with communicating with ejabberd, so that’s a far easier issue to reproduce and track down. I believe the problems to be the same. Of course, it’s also odd that, for whatever reason, the issue doesn’t affect Openfire to Openfire communication. There’s also nothing obvious from the SVN changes that really looks like “the thing that caused the problem”. So it’s not exactly an easy fix at this time.

Also, I’m having a number of problems communicating with gmail.com from ejabberd at the moment, so I’m pretty convinced that a lot of the problems with it are not “entirely” Openfire’s fault. =) But there’s clearly -something- broken with Openfire… Wish me luck finding it tomorrow.

PS. I am Daniel.

Good luck

Sorry we hijacked your thread, ievolve.

Good luck jadestorm If anyone can lick this I know you can…

Hey Daniel,

thanks for fixing JM-1323 - running the current trunk works perfectly with GTalk and ejabberd.

Thanks,

Stefan

Awesome, thanks for letting me know it’s working from your end too!

Oh man, this is great news! Now the question is whether I should wait for 3.5.1, any chance that this will be released before thursday? If not, are there binary installers for the nightlies?

If this really works I owe you a plate of cookies.

Awesome!!! Thanks for fixing the problem, now I can’t wait for 3.5.1

Hey Daniel,

Are we still on for a 3.5.1 release tomorrow with this fix included?