Error When installing OpenFire

When installing OpenFire to interface with our Active Directory (LDAP) I am asked a number of options within “Profile Settings” I can answer all of these and get to the “Profile Settings: Group Mapping” page.

This page presents me with a problem, I can click “Test Settings” perfectly, but clicking Save & Continue" causes the error below!

Now on investigation I find that this may be caused by groups with no users in… Well yes this is the case in our AD, however putting users into these groups is a major ballache, as is removing the groups.

Is there a work around? or is there a way that I can get OpenFire to “Ignore” these groups?

OpenFire Version = 3.6.4

OS = Centos 5.4 (Freshly installed)

If you need any further information then please let me know and I will provide said info.

We really only want this for a couple of departments to talk accross a secure medium (instead of Yahoo or MSN)

Thanks In Advance

Sam

HTTP ERROR: 500

INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

RequestURI=/setup/setup-admin-settings.jsp

Caused by:

java.lang.NullPointerException
     at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.setup.setup_002dadmin_002dsettings_jsp._jspService(setup_002dadmin_002dsettings_jsp.java:99)
     at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
     at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:487)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1093)
     at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:118)
     at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
     at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:66)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
     at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:42)
     at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:70)
     at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:146)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:360)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:726)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:405)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:206)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:324)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:505)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.java:829)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:514)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:211)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:380)
     at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:395)
     at org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:488)

It is more likely that some of the other settings you made for your LDAP config. They can be tricky.

Starting from “Profile Settings”

Select “Directory Server (LDAP)” then click “Save and continue”

Next Page “Connection Settings”

Server type = Active Directory

Host = 1.2.3.4 (Correct IP) Port: 389

Base Dn = dc=sub,dc=domain,dc=co,dc=uk

Administrator DN = domain\user

Password = *******

Test Settings = Success so save and continue

Next Page “User Mappings”

Leave default

Test Settings - Works showing a “random” user so save and continue

Next page “Group Mappings”

Leave Default

Test Settings - Works showing a selection of Groups. So save and continue…

Next Page is the error above…

Any pointers as to what has gone wrong or what I need to set? or even what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Sam

Ok it appears the error was caused by the search string…

I changed the search string from (objectClass=organizationalPerson) to (objectClass=person) and it installed and is all good now.

Except one thing, the Search functionality doesn’t work from the client or the “Advanced User Search” section in admin, these appear to be part of the “Search” plugin and don’t seem to want to search users on the active directory, however normal user search in the admin interface works perfectly.

Don’t suppose anyone can point me in the direction of why the search plugin doesn’t work?

TIA

Sam