Externalize certificate (and other config) files?

Folks:

Is there a way that I can, in the openfire.xml file and/or on the server command line, specify an out of path location for the config & certificate files?

I find that, every time I upgrade the server, I end up loosing the certificate files (currently living in /usr/local/openfire/resources/security).

I’d like to put the config & certificate files in a location such as /etc/openfire so they woudln’t be effected by an upgrade.

Thanks!

david

Hey david,

How are you upgrading your Openfire installation? Are you using the .tar.gz or the RPM style?

Thanks,

– Gato

dombiak_gaston wrote:

Hey david,

How are you upgrading your Openfire installation? Are you using the .tar.gz or the RPM style?

Thanks,

• Gato

It was an upgrade using the the tarball … and I know how to avoid the problem in the future by copying the necessary files from a backup of the server.

What I would like is to put the config file, and certificate files, in an out of path location (/etc/openfire) so I don’t have to remember to copy the files for future upgrades.

david

Any further thoughts on this?

I would really like to see a command line parm that can be specified to indicate where the config files, log files, certs,etc live.

david

Lets hope that @Daniel Henninger who just joined Jive with his Unix skill would come to the rescue soon. I believe that improvement on Unix installer is amongst his first task.

http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/blogs/ignite/2007/11/11/jivin-gateways-a nd-more

Hi,

if you have root access you can use “chattr +i filename” to make your existing certificates immutable.

LG

To be honest, I’m not all that concerned about the installer … I would just like to be able to pass in parms to the various server tasks (openfire & connection manager) so that I can specify where the configuration files live. And, in the configuration files, be able to specify where the SSL certificate files live.

I prefer not to install from the RPM … so if I can get the config & ssl files living in an external location, that would solve my problem entirely.

Thanks!

david