Failed 3.6.x --> 3.7 upgrade

OK folks, so I’m a dummy who tried to upgrade OpenFire from 3.6.x to 3.7 without a backup. Now the server won’'t start and I get this error when I try to start the console:

===================

log4j:ERROR Could not instantiate class [org.jivesoftware.openfire.gateway.util.Log4JToOpenfireAppender].

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.jivesoftware.openfire.gateway.util.Log4JToOpenfireAppender

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)

at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.log4j.helpers.Loader.loadClass(Loader.java:179)

at org.apache.log4j.helpers.OptionConverter.instantiateByClassName(OptionConverter .java:320)

at org.apache.log4j.helpers.OptionConverter.instantiateByKey(OptionConverter.java: 121)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseAppender(PropertyConfigurator.java:6 64)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseCategory(PropertyConfigurator.java:6 47)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.configureRootCategory(PropertyConfigurato r.java:544)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure(PropertyConfigurator.java:440 )

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.configure(PropertyConfigurator.java:367)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.gateway.GatewayPlugin.setLoggerProperty(GatewayPlugin .java:251)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.gateway.GatewayPlugin.(GatewayPlugin.java:58)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager.loadPlugin(PluginManager.java :420)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager.access$300(PluginManager.java :80)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager$PluginMonitor.run(PluginManag er.java:1067)

at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRunAndReset(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$101 (Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.runPeriodi c(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknow n Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

log4j:ERROR Could not instantiate appender named “openfire”.

log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapManager).

log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.

========================================

I know, my own fault - but can anyone point me in the right direction to BEGIN to fix this? Or should I punt and start from scratch? (Might be easier…)

I would try with running OF configuration wizard again.

This is done by editing the openfire.xml file. Make the setup tag read false. Here is the specific order:

1. Stop the openfire server
  2. edit the openfire.xml and save the changes
  3. start openfire
  4. goto admin interface and walk through the config again.

and see if that brings it back then.