Feature Request: No Tabs

The tabbed interface is nice for some. But I often find myself having a conversation with two people, and completely miss messages in tabs that don’‘t have focus. I do not want to use sounds, nor do I want popups. If the tab could flash, that would be a start. But ultimately I’'d like the option to not use a tabbed interface at all.

Isn’'t the title of the tab being bolded, and the number of messages been send been added in brackets enough?

I’'m a big fan of the interface,though it did take a little getting used to.

DeeJay wrote:

Isn’'t the title of the tab being bolded, and the number of messages been send been added in brackets enough?

I’'m a big fan of the interface,though it did take a little getting used to.

No, the bolding is not enough. As I said in my original request, the current system is not working for me. I miss a lot of incoming messages.

Hi Cris,

I think I might be missing something, how would not having tabs prevent you from missing messages? I’‘m not trying to be critical, I’‘m just curious to know what kind of notification you’'re looking for.

Thanks,

Ryan

Personally im not fond of them either. I’'m more used to seeing a new window flashing on my task bar, than I am noticing a small tab.

Message was edited by: wdixon

I have to agree… the tabs don’‘t bother myself and alot of our users, but we have some REALLY idiotic users here who can’‘t quite grasp the concept of more than one thing going on in a single window and a time (the same people couldn’'t figure out how to send a message with there being a “send” button on the chat interface…). The option to dock/undock new chats from the messages container would be a VERY welcome feature.

Message was edited by: Serzoni

I would have to agree with this request and all that has been said - we have many users who have gotten used to our previous IM solution (an in-house msn solution) where individual messages appeared as sepearate “windows”…so this tabbed feature throws them completely off and they miss many messages because they close the entire window instead of the individual message.

I can see where either selecting the option of either appearing in tabs or seperate windows, or possibly having it only close “read” messages when you click the X (similiar to the action that happens when you simply click esc).

Hi,

I’‘m pretty new to using spark, but I also agree that it would be nice to be able to turn off the tabs and have separate windows. It’'s just a preference.

Does anybody know if there are any plans to add the feature?

Thanks,

Thiago

Another vote for no tabs. Tabs in firefox are great, Tabs in IM where I want to have multiple conversations at the same time, not great…

But yes, people seem to like one or the other.

this was mentioned and requested maany times and would be requested in future. but there is no clear answer from developers so far. probably this is not easy to do with current tabbed design. i must agree that we would have a lot of problems with our users (noobs mostly) after switching to tabbed IM. IE7 would be a PITA also