GAIM user is not happy: can''t receive posts

I have a user using GAIM 1.1.0 and since I’‘ve updated to messenger 2.1.0 he is not able to use the server. When he logs in, everyone is shown as being offline. When he sends me a message, I get the message, but when I send him a response he doesn’'t get it.

I’‘m using GAIM 1.0.3 and it works fine. Someone else is using an even older version (0.75) and it works for him as well, so this could be a GAIM problem except GAIM 1.1.0 worked with the previous version of messenger. It might also be completely unrelated to his client, I suppose that might be a coincidence. I’'ll ask him to try a different client.

I checked my messenger error logs and I see this error, it looks like every time he tries to log in I get it again:

2005.01.18 13:10:28 org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.PresenceUpdateHandler.process(PresenceUpdateH andler.java:126) Internal server error

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.SessionManager.sessionAvailable(SessionManager.java: 356)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.spi.SessionImpl.setPresence(SessionImpl.java:173)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.PresenceUpdateHandler.process(PresenceUpdate Handler.java:95)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.PresenceUpdateHandler.process(PresenceUpdate Handler.java:137)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.spi.PresenceRouterImpl.handle(PresenceRouterImpl.jav a:77)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.spi.PresenceRouterImpl.route(PresenceRouterImpl.java :50)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.spi.PacketRouterImpl.route(PacketRouterImpl.java:88)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReadThread.readStream(SocketReadThread.jav a:198)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReadThread.run(SocketReadThread.java:109)

I am having this same issue at my office with a few GAIM clients.

To fix the offline issue have him click Away > Jive Account > Online

He should be able to see everyone at least doing this. The presences might not be 100% accurate but online/offline should display appropriately.

As for the not recieving messages. I am also having this issue and trying to narrow down the problem. I do know for a fact that it is something to do with the interface between the GAIM client and the Jive Messenger server. I posted on the GAIM boards this morning with the problem to see if we can get any developer feedback from them.

He says the “Away > Jive Account > Online” worked in that he can see on/offline info. He still can’'t receive IMs though.

He tried PSI and he said he got all his IMs folks had sent since yesterday! So it does appear to be a GAIM 1.1.0 thing. Although that error log from messenger still seems like someone should take a look at it… I thought Java was supposed to make null pointers a thing of the past!! :-/

One odd bit: when I was testing the broadcast plugin, he DID get those broadcast messages

Paul,

We’'ll look into that stack trace – should be fixed for the 2.1.1 release.

Regards,

Matt

The problem has been fixed. You can find a fix in tomorrow’'s nightly build.

FYI, the problem occurred when the entered username contained uppercase letters.

Thanks,

– Gato

Huh. Which part of the username? You mean in the JID? I don’‘t think any of my users have uppercase names… at least I don’‘t see them that way. I’'ll ask them if they tried to use uppercase letters.

Hey Paul,

Yep, I mean in the JID. A way to generate the problem was by entering an uppercase letter in the node part of the JID. That is the part before the @.

Let me know if you are still having the problem. In case you do I’'d appreciate any information to reproduce the problem.

Thanks,

– Gato