Gateway DNSes & Automatic Creation

I recently installed the IM Gateway Plugin and I noticed that the various domains were mentioned, such as “aim.domain.com” or such of that sort - do I need to create these DNSs and point them to my OpenFire server?

Also, is there any way to auto-create AIM (and perhaps other) accounts for my users (which are pulled from LDAP)? For example, if i have me@domain.com, is there a way I can have it automatically create an AIM account of the name me@domain.com if that account doesn’t already have one?

Thanks for any help

codemaster wrote:

I recently installed the IM Gateway Plugin and I noticed that the various domains were mentioned, such as “aim.domain.com” or such of that sort - do I need to create these DNSs and point them to my OpenFire server?

Nope, those are just the names assigned to the transports. The only time you generally need to set up real DNS stuff is if you are trying to access the transports from remote servers, but that’s not supported by the plugin anyway so no worries there. Basically all of your communication with aim.domain.com will be through domain.com and it already knows where aim.domain.com is. =)

Also, is there any way to auto-create AIM (and perhaps other) accounts for my users (which are pulled from LDAP)? For example, if i have me@domain.com, is there a way I can have it automatically create an AIM account of the name me@domain.com if that account doesn’t already have one?

I’m not entirely sure how it would do that since it needs to ask a user for their password on their legacy account. There wouldn’t be a good way to know if the person already had an AIM account and so a lot of accounts might be created for no good reason. I’m not sure you can even create me@domain.com. I know there’s @mac.com and such but I believe that’s a special exception in AIM land. (I could be mistaken)

I know AIM does support the user@domain.com type of e-mails. All of the users in LDAP actually are posixAccounts, so they already have a password… if I could somehow auto-create the AIM account, that’d be amazing (perhaps provide a default password, worst case).

I don’t believe that the password from LDAP would be accessible to the im gateway plugin itself and it would be an ugly security ism to just set to some default password. AIM generally needs some sort of email address to tie into for password resets. Of all of the services, AIM would probably actually be the most “open” to this though. Some may required more manual interaction. This would be a lot of work to write though, so I’d have to see more interest in it. (unless of course you wanted to write it and submit code back to the project, once it’s written I’d be happy to pull it in and maintain it from there on)