Get another clients IP?

Hi,

Is there a way to retrieve another clients IP-address using Smack?

I have seen that the information is available on the server (in Sessions -> Client sessions in the admin console for Wildfire), but how can I retreive it with my Smack client?

/John

Hi John,

XMPP usually respects privacy. You may get the IP if you transfer a file without using a proxy or IBB, but I’'m not aware of another way to get it.

LG

Thanks for the suggestion!

I have given the problem some more thought, and I’'m pretty sure that I could do something like this:

1. Create some kind of Wildfire plugin that publish IP-address of client sessions, lets say on a webpage.

2. In my client (using Smack) I check this webpage for each user thus getting the IP from client sessions.

However I hope (and suspect) that there is some smarter way to accomplish this: Maybe some extension on the server that could be used directly by Smack (with some kind of IQ thingy). I’'m not an XMPP/Wildfire/Smack expert though… Is there such a solution", and if so: I would much appreciate some pointers in the right direction?

Best regards,

/John

Hi John,

@1+2: You could look at the presence plugin and modify it to display the IP address together with the presence information.

@However: Like the broadcast plugin your plugin could also be able to receive and send XMPP messages.

There are some JEPs for automated or non human communications, but as far as I know they are not supported be Wifi so far.

LG

Thanks - that might be exactly what I’'m looking for

I will try to create the plugin on the server that I can ask for a client sessions IP via XMPP from another client.

/John

it2000:

Are you talking about this JEP?

http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0072.html

Hi Andreas,

no, it was not SOAP. Seems to be an overkill for what is needed here.

looking up the JEP I was refering to

To get only the IP address “JEP-0050: Ad-Hoc Commands” could be fine.

LG