powered by Jive Software

Giving up on OpenFire

Having had OpenFire blow up on us, we decided to try to re-install it. This was installed by a previous administrator (who left no notes about it). We have run through at least five permutations of the set up and are still getting no where. Myself and another tech have been at this for two days and we’re beyond frustration with this. I’ll look for something else that is more intuitive to configure. Unless someone can offer something more definitive than what Ignite offers as installation instructions, it’ll be adios to OpenFire.

Can you please explain in detail what issues you are running into?

Here are the settings we’ve tried to apply:

Choose Language
English

Server Settings
jtsdunfs02
9090
9091

Database Settings
Embedded Database

Profile Settings
Directory Server (LDAP)

Profile Settings: Connection Settings
LDAP Server
Server Type Active Directory
Host JTSDUNFS02 Port 389
Base DN dc=jtsusa,dc=local
Authentication
Administrator DN cn=Administrator,cn=users,dc=jtsusa,dc=local
Password *********

Profile Settings: User Mapping
User Mapping
Username Field sAMAccountName
User Profiles (vCard)
(checked) Store avatar in database…
Name {cn}
Email {mail}
Full Name {displayName}
(all other fields left blank)

Profile Settings: Group Mapping
Group Mapping
Group Field cn
Member Field member
Description Field description

Administrator Account
Administrator Dallas.Ward

At this point it says it was successful
NOTE: After several other attempts, these configuration settings gave me the least lengthy error message.

When I run the server it gives back this error:
Database setup or configuration error: Please verify your database settings and check the logs/error.log file for detailed error messages.
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: java.sql.SQLException: ConnectionManager.getConnection() failed to obtain a connection after 11 retries. The exception from the last attempt is as follows: java.sql.SQLException: User not found: SA
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.verifyDataSource(XMPPServer.java:770)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.start(XMPPServer.java:486)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.(XMPPServer.java:216)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.start(ServerStarter.java:113)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.main(ServerStarter.java:58)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)
at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: ConnectionManager.getConnection() failed to obtain a connection after 11 retries. The exception from the last attempt is as follows: java.sql.SQLException: User not found: SA
at org.jivesoftware.database.DbConnectionManager.getConnection(DbConnectionManager .java:151)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.verifyDataSource(XMPPServer.java:760)
… 16 more
Error starting the server. Please check the log files for more information.
Server halted

(End of the error message)

for a production install, I would recommend using mysql or ms sql database instead. Are you installing this on a windows or linux system?

To be honest, you have a simple problem. The user “SA” is not setup on your database for one reason or another… preventing Openfire from logging in and setting things up to work properly.

Either switch to a proper database backend like mysql (free and available on pretty much all platforms including windows or linux), or another supported database.

Make sure to do the database prep. steps: http://www.igniterealtime.org/builds/openfire/docs/latest/documentation/database .html

This will configure things to work with openfire.

Then after you’ve done that, simply try a fresh setup of openfire (completely blow the old stuff out, back it up, then kill it all and start with a fresh download from the site).

As a sidenote: I’ve been a sys admin for almost 10 years now, and quite frankly, Openfire is one of the easiest and most simple installations/setup of any enterprise-grade software I’ve ever used. I completely understand your frustrations, but I’d say give it another go. Once you get past this databse problem, it’s home-free and I think you will come to like Openfire, it’s quite nice.

I just had another thought, if you are attempting to resurect an old installation, it’s very possible the embedded database is still hanging around, causing your issue. Older Openfire versions may have used a different login for the embedded database (not sure, but it’s possible).

So, just try to start completely fresh, blow it all out, kill it all, nothing left. Then start completely over from a fresh download. In my experience, the embedded database, “just works”. But, this assumes there is not an existing one already there.