Group Chat service name limitations

I was just testing group chat options and I went to create a new service with a space in the name. This caused a jave error but it was created. I decided to try and delete it but it causes a njave nullpointerexception error but won’t delete it.

I think I saw somewhere that a space is not allowed nor is an underscore. Is this correct ?

If so, the admin console has a couple of bugs based around the fact that it did not verify the conference service name entered when creating a new service. Ant other ‘errors’ are side effects.

The new service with the space appears to be able to get used after the creation ‘bug’ except for deleting it through the console.

Brian

java.lang.NullPointerException
     at org.jivesoftware.openfire.component.InternalComponentManager.removeComponent(InternalComponentManager.java:190)
     at org.jivesoftware.openfire.muc.MultiUserChatManager.unregisterMultiUserChatService(MultiUserChatManager.java:151)
     at org.jivesoftware.openfire.muc.MultiUserChatManager.removeMultiUserChatService(MultiUserChatManager.java:276)
     at org.jivesoftware.openfire.muc.MultiUserChatManager.removeMultiUserChatService(MultiUserChatManager.java:261)
     at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.muc_002dservice_002ddelete_jsp._jspService(muc_002dservice_002ddelete_jsp.java:95)

Just as addition info, the ofmucservice table has the service name in it with the same serviceid as the ‘conference’ service. Could I just delete this record or will I need to check other tables? With the two having the same serviceid, does that mean that referring to one service could be like using an alias for the other?

Brian

Hi, first of all this is a known bug, see OF-27

Could I just delete this record or will I need to check other tables?

It belongs to the tables ofMucService, ofMucServiceProp, ofMucRoom and indirect to ofMucRoomProp, ofMucAffiliation, ofMucMember, ofMucConversationLog and maybe others from plugins.

[edited by Guenther Niess]:

But you should delete the new db enty with id=1 and the invalid name only in the ofMucService table manually.

With the two having the same serviceid, does that mean that referring to one service could be like using an alias for the other?

This bug has more negative impacts. I recommend don’t use multiple group chat services until the bug is fixed (but I think there is a good probability that this will be fixed in the next release).

Best regards

OK, I’ll not try to clean it up and expect it work. I’ll probably trash the DB and reinstall. I’m getting good at it.

Brian