Help a new idiot, er.. newbie, get started

Hi All,

I have installed messenger on a Linux box. I’‘m having trouble getting everything to work. I am to the point where everything appears to be working but I can’‘t actually chat. I can log in with Adium or gaim and I see the session in the admin site. But, I can’'t chat with anyone else who is logged in. If I send a broadcast message everyone gets it. I must be missing something pretty basic here and I will take my lumps as an idiot and a fool if it helps me. I am trying to set up a chat room so I can provide online office hours for my students.

Thanks,

-Eric

I have looked at my logs and I’'m getting lots and lots of these:

2005.09.24 13:46:23 org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReader.run(SocketReader.java:145) Connection closed before session established

Socket[addr=/198.150.221.248,port=33328,localport=5269]

This box is behind a firewall and port 5223 has been opened. Another thing that I have noticed is that once a user logs in they can’'t log out, it just hangs and I have to drop them in the admin console.

Thanks,

-Eric

Eric,

How are you trying to send messages to users? You need to use the full JID. So, if the server is configured to be “example.com”, send messages to "user@example.com".

I believe the error you’'re seeing is a server to server error that can probably be ignored for now.

Regards,

Matt

Thanks for the reply. The next question is how do I either config my server or how do I know what it is? Is it just the domain name of the box itself or is there a config setting? I am seeing errors in the logs about not finding a user even though that user is currently logged in. I’'m closer but not quite there yet!

-Eric

Hi,

I encountered exactly the same problem as ejknapp. In installed without any problems Jive mess on a RH9 machine, started it, in admin console everything ok but users cannot comunicate with each other, cannot send invitiations requests, etc. When I send a message from admin console to all of them, they receive it. They are shown as logged in when they connect, their clients show online. clients use Yabber on windows machines, I tried everything including dropping firewall on server, nothing seems to work.

Can someone please tell me if there is something else I should to to out of the box installation to make the system work? Installing and configuring tutorials on the site are very thin

Regards,

Radu

Hi Eric,

The next question is how do I either config my server or how do I know what it is?

On the second page of the setup wizard you are given the opportunity to specify the name of your Messenger installation; by default the name of server you’'re installing Messenger on is used.

You can see what you installation is set to by logging into the Admin Console and going to Server → Server Manager → Server Settings and looking at the Server Name. You can change the name of installation by Edit Properties button at the bottom of the page and then restarting Messenger. Please note that the name you select must be resolvable on whichever network you’'re installing Messenger on.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Hi Radu,

Did you see Matt’'s post about needing to have your clients sign into Messenger using their full JID?

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi ryang,

Yes, clients sign in properly. When I check admin console, they are shown as logged in the system. But they cannot send messages to one another or authorisation requests

BUT: After another tries, I managed to comunicate after I created a group on the server and asigned users to that grup.

SO, it seems that is a must to create a group and assign users to it

Radu

Addendum: Actually it started to work after I set xmpp.socket.ssl.active in system properties to FALSE instead of TRUE, as it is by default. After that and after I created groups on server

Radu

Hi Radu,

Something still isn’‘t configured properly if you’‘re having to add users to a group for them communicate with each other. Double check that your users are signing in using the exact same name you assigned to Messenger during the setup process and that when they are attempting to add each other to their rosters they’'re using the contacts full JID.

It’‘s somewhat easy to be mislead into thinking all the clients are connecting properly when they really aren’‘t. As an example, say I have a server that has the domain name of “mymessenger” which resolves to 10.0.0.1. After I’‘ve installed Messenger on that server clients can connect to it using @mymessenger as well as @10.0.0.1. So, bob connects by using “bob@mymessenger” and sally connects using "sally@10.0.0.1". If you go into the Messenger Admin Console and look at the active client sessions you will see that both users are connected. However, if bob attempts to add sally to his roster by using either “sally@mymessenger” or simply “sally” the client will attempt to add sally to bob’‘s roster but sally will never recieve the request to have her added bob’‘s roster and as a result bob and sally won’'t be able to communicate with one another.

Another scenario is if bob and sally sign-in using “bob@mymessenger” and “sally@mymessenger” respectively. But just like before, if bob attempts to add sally to his roster by simply using “sally” the client will attempt to add sally to bob’‘s roster but sally will never recieve the request to have her added bob’‘s roster and as a result bob and sally won’'t be able to communicate with one another.

Hope that helps,

Ryan