HELP cannot connect from widows pc to ubuntu openfire server

I have 2 ubuntu pcs, and 1 windows xp sp2. I have set up a server on

one of the Ubuntu pcs and the other can connect fine, but the windows

one can not, using spark 2.5.8. my friends, who are also using windows,

can not connect either, is there a way to fix this problem?

Thanks

You have to give more information about your Openfire setup and network. How are you connecting to Openfire server from ubuntu and xp? What are you specifying in username, server fields in Spark. What’s the name of Openfire server and pc it’s installed on. Is that name resolvable in this network (DNS, hosts file)?

disable firewall protection on windows xp sp2.

Also, try to user the ip server address instead of the name to connect to the server.

hope this helps,

regards,

-eduardo s.m.

One thing you must remember is that, if you have a router you need to open the ports in there too.

if you’re installation was meant to work just in your LAN you don’t need to open ports in your firewall.

best regards,

-eduardo s.m.

Ok, thanks, but how do i open the ports and which ones are needed?

and to be more spacific, i want to set up something that is very easy to download and log on so ppl will join without much question. The error message i get and ppl outside of my lan gets is cant connect to server, invalid server name or server is unreachable, something like that. i am using the latest openfire and spark. I am a beginner to opensource stuff including linux, im an just getting the hang of it.

In that case your network knowledge is more important than linux or opensource.

The problem is that your server is in internal network, so outside users cant see it. If you have an outside router connecting your LAN with Internet, you have to open 5222 port in that router (or 5523 for secured connection, though i may be a bit wrong about that, just dont use that myself). And this port should be forwarded to that internal PC with Openfire installed on. If you have a firewall installed on this server, you have to let connections to that port too. So outside users will be connecting to a router’s IP address and this connection will be forwarded to the server. If you want users to use some servername instead of IP address, you will have to set up DNS records, but that’s far more complicated. I dont have much experience about DNS.

still the same problem, it gives the same error for both the pc on lan and across internet

You havent specified much information about your network and openfire setup. Now you are saying that you still have a problem, but you havent said what have you already tried. So, everyone who is trying to help you has to guess. You are not helping yourself.

I have 2 ubuntu pcs, and 1 windows xp sp2. I have set up a server on one of the Ubuntu pcs and the other can connect fine, but the windows one can not, using spark 2.5.8. my friends, who are also using windows, can not connect either, is there a way to fix this problem?

This information is not enough. How is your network setup? How all this computers connected (switch, router, direct connection with additional network cards, etc.)? What name have you specified for Openfire server, how are you connecting to the server from Ubuntu pc and Windows pc? I mean what are you specifying in username/server fields in Spark login screen?

You havent said how is your lan connected to Internet and have you tried to open and forward ports or not. You havent said anything about firewall either.

All 3 pc connect to through a modem, the 2 ubuntu pcs are wireless, i have all firewalls disabled in the pcs and the modem. i have opened the port 5222. no setting in spark help, i created a username :a and password :a from the server, in the server feild of spark i put my server name, when i put all that in on my non server ubuntu pc, it works fine. i have not tried the dns server and have tried very little since i have no ideas.

in open fire setup: admin consol ports left the same, changed the domain name

Embedded database

Defult profile setings

changed username, password, and emailadress

Everything else has no change due to the fact that i am a begginger other than some plugins

Chono wrote:

All 3 pc connect to through a modem, the 2 ubuntu pcs are wireless, i have all firewalls disabled in the pcs and the modem. i have opened the port 5222. no setting in spark help, i created a username :a and password :a from the server, in the server feild of spark i put my server name, when i put all that in on my non server ubuntu pc, it works fine. i have not tried the dns server and have tried very little since i have no ideas.

in open fire setup: admin consol ports left the same, changed the domain name

That domain name probably is the same as the server pc name? That could be the reason why non server pc understands server name part in login. These 2 pcs some how see each other by their computer/host names. But the others cant resolve that name. Something is still unclear. What are the IP addresses of all 3 pcs? You can try to put server pc IP address in server field when connecting from windows pc.

You say you have opened 5222 port. In the modem? It should be a router to be able to forward traffic. And you should forward that port to a server pc IP address.

E.g.

Internet - Router(85.12.12.12) - LAN (server:192.168.0.101)

you open port 5222 in a router and forward it to 192.168.0.101

outside users should connect to 85.12.12.12 IP and this traffic will be forwarded to appropriate LAN pc, 192.168.0.101:5222 in this example

inside users can connect directly to 192.168.0.101

i’m not sure how non server ubuntu is understanding server name, maybe linux machines some how exchange host name information when their are in one lan, but obviously windows machine cant get that information, so you should use IP address to connect to server.

The way you are describing your network I am going to guess by modem you mean one of those cable modems with a built in switch/router/wireless all in one deals. If this is the case then first off it is not a good idea to turn off your firewall on your router itself. Second you said that you have the server on one of the Ubuntu machines and you also said they are both wireless. That being said whatever computer you have the server on I would suggest getting it a wired connection, it is simply more reliable. Next if the server doesn’t have a static IP address I would suggest setting it that way because the last thing you want is for it to be DHCP and then the servers IP address accidently gets changed. Once you have done those things I would suggest on the windows machine when you are logging in type your username, password and for the server field put the IP address of the server instead of the name (Ex. if you statically set it to 192.168.1.15 set the server field to 192.168.1.15)

I have attached some documentation I had written (slightly modified from the orginal for security reasons) Keep in mind when looking over this document that I had started with a LAMP server install of Ubuntu Server 8.04 and I never installed GNOME or KDE. You might be able to pull a few tips from it. Good luck!
Example Openfire Setup.doc (31232 Bytes)