Help - chat crosstalk problem

Hi, I’m an OpenFire newbee, so this may be a bit basic…

we’ve set up openfire 3.6.4 on a solaris server under weblogic. due to the nature of our business we need to set up one-on-one chats between a client and our “agent” (left hand picture, below). but on monday we had a case where two clients apparently entered the same chat room and were seeing the other’s conversation as well as their own (right hand diagram, below).

is there some configuration or coding option to force one-on-one chats? would it be possible, under one-on-one chats to involve another agent (subject matter expert)?

anything along this line would be a help. i’ve read through the docs… sadly i couldn’t find user/admin docs, only programmer stuff… to no avail.

| | | | | |
| client | | client | | client |
| | | | | |

|                  |           |

| | | |
| chat room | | chat room |
| | | |

|                        |

| | | |
| agent | | agent |
| | | |

TIA, Jim

have you looked at the fastpath plugin? it was designed for this purpose.

Hey Jim,

As Todd said, Fastpath is what you are looking for. Now, are you reporting an error in Fastpath where another foreign user got into a support chat of another user? Or is the case you are describing something that happened to your own implementation of 1-1 chats and agents?

– Gato

Gato, first of all i dont think they were using Fastpath, but if it could be a Fastpath bug, would you fix it? What about all the bugs already filed in JIRA? Personally i dont like the idea of suggesting a product which has bugs and probably no future, no support and development. Especially for a new user.

Speaking about this case. They are probably using simple Group Chat rooms, so more than two users can enter the room and participate. So if they only need one-to-one solution, they can use one-to-one messaging (not the Group Chat), but there will not be easy accessible room. Participants will have to find each other. Hard to suggest here. Not enough information provided about the specifics. Maybe they can add all the clients to their rosters and that’s it. Everything would be simple and no additional stuff needed. If they want to have two or more agents. Then they can start an ad-hoc conference out of the simple messaging window and invite users they want. Another way is to setup every Group Chat with password or enable only certain users to join. But this will bring a lot of manual managing.

And if they need something more complex, like agents queues, question forwarding to a free agent, co-agent invitation to a chat, forms, etc. Then they can use Fastpath. Spark is needed as a client in this case, and so far only 2.5.8 version works with Fastpath. But as i said, there could be some bugs or features they would want to add. Then they will have to program it themselves or search for another solution.

Almost forgot, here’s the doc there i tried to gather all the usefull docs about Fastpath: http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/docs/DOC-1876

yes, we are using openfire with fastpath. it was recommended to us by jive software as a replacement for live assistant (which we’ve used for several years).

we are in the process of trying to document/replicate the exact event from the logs, chats, etc. but have been time constrained by other projects. I hope to post another item with more details soon.

in a nutshell, our agents can chat with one or two users at a time (not together, but as separate chats). our agent was in the middle of a chat with user1, and accepted a chat with user 2. somewhere during the chat with user 2, user3 suddenly assumed user2’s identity. he/she they reported “i’m not user2… i’m user3… what gives” to words to that effect. the real user2 may have become disconnected at/during this time. we’re still struggling to make sense with all of those presence messages in the log.

a couple of new questions…

• has anyone else ever seen this before?

• what do you need to help me diagnose this mess? obviously, you don’t want the whole log file (quite tedious), but it’s available.

• is there a tool to help me make sense of this massive log? it was created by ./openfire.sh 2>&1 >my.log &

• what other tools would help, or what other places should i look?

Hmm, sorry to hear that happened. I would recommend using the logger plugin that will trap all XML traffic and store it in the stdout. You should use this plug with caution as it will affect your scalability. Use it when the system is not under heavy load or otherwise only for brief moments of time.

Once you have the XML log we will be able to understand the flow and confirm what is going on. AFAIK, rooms are not members only but private. Still a user could invite another user to the room and create this effect.

Regards,

– Gato

Sorry for the delay… other pressing issues kept me away.

I believe we had the plugin installed and running at the time of the “event”. We have a massive log that was created from stdout/stderr. I’m currently working to “sanitize” a subset of the log (excluding hours of good, clean traffic) so you don’t see real names, addresses, etc. (Sarbanes-Oxley stuff). I expect that when I’ve cleared the log it’ll be .5 to 1.0 MB, compressed. I’ll attach it to my next post.

for anyone interested (Gato?)

If I send log files (after we Sarbanes-Oxley sanitize them) do you want to see the entire log (440000 records) or a snippet of what we believe shows the issue (4500 records)?

If the latter, then we’ll have that today, if the whole enchilada, the it’ll be next week.

THX

Lets go with the latter. I would like to be able to see those logs in one lifetime.

– Gato

Politics, being what it is, it took longer to get an “approved” log for you to see. Herein attached, is a log with all of the personalized details altered, but none of the technicial stuff changed.

One of out staff suggested the following, which may be beneficial…

Some log line numbers that may help you
1237 - “Steve Peters” first joins chat.
2991 - First evidence that “Max South” assumed Steve’s identity, where he says “Good morning Nicole!”.
3471 - “Max South” says “**I am NOT Steve Peters…”.
4557 - “Steve Peters” tries to join again, but no dialog.

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance.
sanitized.zip (18806 Bytes)