HELP! Out of JAVA Memory!

Hi,

How can I increave the JAVA MEMORY in OpenFire.

My Server is out of memory in JAVA MEmory.

URGENT PLEASE.

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I have the same issue and the clients are getting disconnected every 30 minutes. I have 300 users on this server. The server is a Core2Duo with 2GB memory. I have tried configuring the Java Memory to 1GB(OPENFIRE_OPTS="-Xmx1024m"). Still its raising and the below error pops-out.

HTTP ERROR: 500

GC overhead limit exceeded

RequestURI=/index.jsp

Caused by:

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

I am using jdk1.6.0_18 on this CentOS 5.4 machine. Please, help.

Hi

You might want to have a look at this thread.

I have done the memory adjustment, still having the issue.

What file did you edit to adjust the Java Memory - Is this reflected in the Openfire Admin console ?

Sorry two more things -

What file did you add the (OPENFIRE_OPTS="-Xmx1024m") line to ?

Are you using linux or windows ?

I have added the memory settings to /etc/sysconfig/openfire and I am using CentOS 5.4 as stated in my first post. Below are the contents of the file:

OPENFIRE_OPTS="-Xms512m -Xmx1024m"
INSTALL4J_ADD_VM_PARAMS="-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -XX:+PrintGCDetails -Xloggc:/tmp/gc.log -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -Xss128k -Xoss128k -XX:ThreadStackSize=128 -XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit"

This does reflect on the Openfire Admin Console. Openfire version is 3.6.4

Hello all,

Could anyone here help us with this issue please?

Hi,

do you use the embedded database?

Or did you read this?

Announcement: Suffering from memory-related issues in Openfire 3.6.4? Read this!

Openfires up to and including version 3.6.4 suffer from a memory leak in its PEP component. If your Openfire domain is crashing with OutOfMemoryExceptions, you might be having this problem.

As a workaround, you can disable PEP, by setting the Openfire property xmpp.pep.enabled to false.

More information can be found in this discussion: Openfire 3.6.4 memory leak with Empathy

Hello All,

Still no joy on this. I have tried clearing the cache and that does not help much.

Hello All,

Still no joy on this. I have tried clearing the cache and that does not help much.

Announcement: Suffering from memory-related issues in Openfire 3.6.4? Read this!

The above link is loading the support page. I have tried changing the PEP to disable, though it was not listed in the server properties. I have added that entry and made false.

Could anyone please, help me with this issue?

Are you using the embedded database?

No. We are using MySQL 5.x.

Hi,

how many users do you have and how long does it take to get this error?

Can you decrease the memory usage if you delete all caches using the admin console?

You could set “-XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit” to avoid the “GC overhead limit exceeded” error but you’ll get another OutOfMemory error sooner or later.

LG

Hi,

We have 450 users and mostly 300+ would be concurrent. The server is on a Core2Duo with 2GB physical memory. After deleting/clearing the Cache, the memory utilization does reduces and then after an hour it starts increasing.

Hi,

if it helps to purge the caches then you may want to read How to configure Openfire’s caches and decrease the size of some caches. Maybe the users did use large images for their vcards or something like this.

LG

Hi LG,

I will change the configuration and tune the cache settings today and will update you.

Thanks.

Hi LG,

The cache settings did not help. Still the server is crashing every 30 minutes and I am restarting it.

Hi,

so you may want to set -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError and -XX:+HeapDumpOnCtrlBreak and write a heap dump after startup (kill -3 $openfire-pid), after some minutes/hours and one when the heap is nearly full. When the next error OOM error occurs another dump will be written.

Analyze the files or upload them somewhere.

Or you can try to use “jmap -dump:live,format=b,file=/tmp/file.dmp $openfire-pid” to create a dump if you are using Java 1.6.

LG

Hi LG,

It has not helped much. It gives the same details.

Hi,

do you use some plugings?

LG