How can I import the users in Active Directory to Wildfire?

Now I’'d like to import all the users in my Active Directory to Wildfire.

How to?

Message was edited by: broom25

Do you really want to import? Or do you just want to authenticate against Active Directory? If you mean just authenticate against AD, follow the LDAP guide in the documentation and check the fourms here, many people have done that.

If you mean import, you will likely need to write something that can dump the users of AD into some format the User Import plugin can read.

If you mean import, you will likely need to write something that can dump the users of AD into some format the User Import plugin can read.

yes, what I mean is this. But I wanna know how. Can you tell me or give me some advices?

Thank you very much.

Well, I dont use windows, so I dont know how much help Ill be. But I have a few ideas:

First, AD uses ldap, so you should be able to write a script in perl (or any other language that has LDAP libraries for it) that can dump all the user information out.

Second, the User Import Export plugin might be able to export from a wildfire server that was set up to use AD as its LDAP backend. So, set up wildfire to use LDAP, export all the users, then reconfigure wildfire to use a database, then import all the users. I have no idea if the plugin will work this way, but it might be worth a try.

Hi,

exporting the users one time and imporing them to Wildfire may be possible as Jay did describe it by writing a simple script.

But I don’'t like the idea that a user is added or deleted from AD and you need another script to track this as you may want to keep the user base synchronized in some way.

LG

Oh, I see.

But it seems like that I can import the users in AD to database instead.

But I don’'t know whether it can work.

Did anyone ever do this?

I dont think anyone here understands why you want to do a one time import of users from AD when you could just use AD itself. Is there some reason you cant just use the LDAP features of AD?

I have done it.

In AD, I export the users to a txt file separated by tab. And in SQL Server, I import the txt file to database with the “mport & export tool”.

Now it’'s OK and works well.

I would be most intersted to see what you did.

We are migrating from a file-based jabberd1.4 to Wildfire implementation using AD for authentication and an MS SQL data backend.

Since AD already has all the user auth info, I just need a way to help my 2000 users get thier rosters over to the new envrionment. I have all the user xml files from the 1.4 install.

Since the user import/export plugin won’‘t play if you are using LDAP/AD, I don’'t know how to proceed with just roster data conversion.

So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

P