That Makefile is confusing. I feel that we should remove it.
Building Openfire from source needs just a couple of steps
- Make sure your computer has a JDK version 8 or 11
- Make sure your computer has Apache Maven (some semi-recent version should do)
In the root of the source folder, issue this command:
mvn clean package
Afterwards, you’ll find a distribution that is ready for execution in
During development, I often do this:
mvn clean package && ./distribution/target/distribution-base/bin/openfire.sh -debug -demoboot
- clean up artifacts from any previous build
- compile and create a distribution of Openfire
- start Openfire in ‘demo’ mode (gives you an admin/admin account, as well as two user accounts: john/secret and jane/secret on a domain that’s named example.org
- start Openfire allowing a debugger to be attached.