How to "call" someone outside of roster

Hello,

In my own custom client, I need ability to “call” (through libjingle) someone who isn’'t in the roster. I can call someone in the roster just fine.

If someone isn’‘t in roster, the only information that is missing (to make a call) is the resource Id. When I try calling without the resource Id, the target client isn’‘t reached. I am not sure what happens to the messages in that case, but they don’'t reach the target client. I am running my own wilefire 3.1.0 server so I can configure it any way I like. My questions are

1. What’‘s the best way to contact someone who isn’'t in the roster and without going through the acceptance process.

2. Is it possible to turn off unique resource Ids generated by wildfire server. In that case, I can control resource Id and bypass the roster issue.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Vinay Agarwal

Hi,

@1. What’‘s the best way to contact someone who isn’'t in the roster and without going through the acceptance process.

Actually one can send messages to everyone and Wildfire does the routing of the messages based on the resource priority if no resource id is given, and this is the default. Unless a privacy is used the message will reach the receiver. One can also send a message to user@server/resource to bypass this behaviour.

@2. Is it possible to turn off unique resource Ids generated by wildfire server.

I wonder what you mean with “unique resource Ids generated by wildfire server”. Do you have an example for this? I assume that you don’'t mean the resource which is specified by the client.

LG

LG,

Thanks for answering.

1. It is very likely that client (libjingle call sample derivative) is receiving the message (when resource id isn’‘t specified) and somehow I haven’'t been able to figure out how to handle that.

2. By the unique resource id, I meant the 8-10 character long random looking id that is displayed in the sessions table resource column of the admin console.

Anyway, there may be another approach to solving what I am looking for. My main goal is to be able to “call” someone without going through the approval process. Since the “call” works for contacts in the roster, if I can get contacts in the roster without approval process, that will also do the trick (and may even be better in the long run). I underatnd that subscription plugin does exactly that. I am trying that out at this time.

Regards,

Vinay Agarwal