How to configure an external Openfire server that synchronizes to a local Openfire server

We’re currently looking for a replacement of our current enterprise IM solution and evaluating Openfire.

Our objective is to setup two Openfire server - internal that authenticates to our Active Directory and an external server in Amazon cloud that syncs to the internal Openfire server.

We would like to have all our internal(fixed connection) clients connect to the internal Openfire server and our mobile(laptop) users connects to the internal Openfire server when they are in HQ and to the external Openfire server(in Amazon) when they are mobile.

We would like to know how we can and what we need to do to make this possible.

There is no option to sync (replicate) databases between two or more Openfire servers. Aside the clusterization, but this is not the case, as clusterization is when few servers look like one.

you could use the connection manager on the Amazon cloud.

1 Like

This could be an option. Though Connection Manager is not a second server, so it won;t work if the first server is unavailable.

How does that work?

We wanted to make the presence work between the two servers - internal server with a public dns and an external server in Amazon that connects to our local active directory server(via LDAP over VPN).

Server to Server and Connection Manager are enabled in both servers but I could not search/query the directory of the other server.

Here you can download CM http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/connection_manager.jsp As i said, you will have just one server (internal), and CM will be in Amazon cloud and will be connecting users with your internal server.

Thank you for the link. Is there a more detailed instruction on how to set this up and how the IM clients can connect to the Openfire server via the Connection Manager Module?

There are some docs inside the zip. I’m afraid there is nothing else, though you can search the forums for “connection manager” and maybe you’ll find more information.

i would like just to highlight how the connection manager is not a solution, because if the local server is down, the user from remote cannot authenticate.

since the question is rather old, has somebody a solution for this kind of scenario? It is not so rare, that you want to authenticate locally even without internet connection and the day after you are on travel, and you want to log in on a server in the cloud.

have you considered the hazelcast clustering plugin? Create a cluster with both servers