How to go about

Hello,

I am new to wildfire and instant messaging and i have to make an application 2 client IM system using wildfire server. The client can chat with the application and check the status,settings etc. Since I am new to this I have no clue as to where to start off. I have the wildfire server installed. Also i have looked at how to write plugins but i still don’'t know like what classes to inherit. Could someone be kind enough to direct me so as to achieve this task. What should I know to do the above ? What part of the code should i mess around with ? and typical newbie questions like that. I would really appreciate any sort of help

Thank you

Aggie

Hi Aggie,

you may have already downloaded the Wildfire source code, the plugins source code is in folder wildfire_src/src/plugins so you have some good examples.

Could this application-2-client system be a bot? It should be more easy to use the Smack API and write a client instead of a server plugin.

LG

Hi Aggie,

Also, to add to what LG already said, a good resource for when you’'re developing plugins is the url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/builds/wildfire/docs/latest/documentation/Plugin Developer Guide[/url].

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Thank you. I shall go through the smack API.

On the application side it is a bot.

Also one more question…since the client(person) will talk to the product,like issue commands, do i have to modify the xml parser at the application side(is it possible) or do i have to have to scan the message for the command.

Once again thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions

Hi Aggie,

I use Smack only for some basic load tests, so I did never care much about how to parse a message.

As you should use the API as is you should not modify the XML parser, so you may want to use addPacketListener() / processPacket() to get the received packets and parse the content.

LG