HTTP 500 in user-summary.jsp

Hello Ignite community,

I am running Openfire 3.11 on an AWS EC2 instance. I know this isn’t a released version of Openfire, I slightly modified the “latest” source code when we starting using Openfire in our environment. The code I modified is unrelated to the problem I’m experiencing here, as far as I can tell. I am seeing a strange error when I try to view the list of users in the admin console. I get a stack trace that looks like this:

HTTP ERROR 500

Problem accessing /user-summary.jsp. Reason:

> > Server Error

Caused by:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.PresenceManagerImpl.getPresence(PresenceManagerIm pl.java:109)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.user_002dsummary_jsp._jspService(user_002dsumma ry_jsp.java:267)

at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:790)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:808)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1669)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:11 8)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1652)

at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:74)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1652)

at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingF ilter.java:50)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:78)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:159)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:585)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:143)

at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:577)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:22 3)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:11 27)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:515)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:185 )

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:106 1)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandler Collection.java:215)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.jav a:110)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:97)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:497)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:310)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:257)

at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$2.run(AbstractConnection.java:540)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:635 )

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:555)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

This isn’t the first time this has happened, but it goes away temporarily when I restart the server. I observed this error yesterday, restarted the server, and less than 24 hours later it was back. Obviously this isn’t something I want to do every day, but I don’t understand what the problem is. Can anyone help me track down the problem? Here’s the code that appears in my version of PresenceManagerImpl.java, surrounding the offending line 109:

public Presence getPresence(User user) {
        if (user == null) {
            return null;
        }
        Presence presence = null;         for (ClientSession session : sessionManager.getSessions(user.getUsername())) {
            if (presence == null) {
                presence = session.getPresence(); // <<< This is line 109
            }
            else {
                // Get the ordinals of the presences to compare. If no ordinal is available then
                // assume a value of -1
                int o1 = presence.getShow() != null ? presence.getShow().ordinal() : -1;
                int o2 = session.getPresence().getShow() != null ?
                        session.getPresence().getShow().ordinal() : -1;
                // Compare the presences' show ordinals
                if (o1 > o2) {
                    presence = session.getPresence();
                }
            }
        }
        return presence;     }

This error hasn’t caused any problems with the actual functioning of Openfire as a chat server, but I would really like to be able to see and work with the user list. Thanks for your help!

Message was edited by: Chris. Fixed Java syntax highlighting