iChat & Adium chat room functionality

Hello all, great forum! Thanks for helping me get through a couple of issues in the past!

I just setup an openfire server for a company of primarily mac users, and I am not finding an easy way to get chat room functionality to work in either iChat or Adium. Using iChat, I can see pre created rooms, but when I try to connect to room test01, I get this in the debug log:

2009.05.21 08:25:08 ServerDialback: OS - Time out waiting for answer in validation from: conference.domain.com id: qehyk0kbhlmj8w0rj7ogpijgtgdoh098er7zssb9 for domain: openfire
2009.05.21 08:25:08 LocalOutgoingServerSession: OS - Trying to connect to domain.com:5269(DNS lookup: domain.com:5269)
2009.05.21 08:25:08 OutgoingSessionPromise: Error sending packet to remote server:

java.lang.Exception: Failed to create connection to remote server
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor.sendPa cket(OutgoingSessionPromise.java:252)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor.run(Ou tgoingSessionPromise.java:216)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java: 650)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:675)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Using Adium, I get the following message:

2009.05.21 08:38:20 OutgoingSessionPromise: Error sending packet to remote server (fast discard):

For both clients, a pop up box comes up and says:
Error joining chat test01@conference.domain.com/username

404: Remote Server Not Found

External dns is:

chat.domain.com
conference.domain.com

Ports 5222, and 5223 are open to the server.

And yes, using the Spark client works flawlessly. Unfortunately, my client is primarily adium and pidgin users and switching is not an option.

If anyone has any idea as to what I am missing, I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Hi crofox,

crofox wrote:

2009.05.21 08:25:08 OutgoingSessionPromise: Error sending packet to remote server:

The from attribute say that your servers domain is just “openfire” and you want to connect to an external server “conference.domain.com”. This is a problem. If you want to connect to an external server, you have to setup your Openfire to a real dns domain with DNS SRV records, see Server To Server HowTo’s for this topic. Or is your Multi-User Chat service local, then you have to setup your xmpp.domain (see Openfire Properties) to domain.com and also setup your DNS and the users JIDs (user@domain.com and not user@openfire) for this.

Best Regards

Hi Guenther,

Thanks for the reply. After studying this like a mad man, I see that I will need to have a resolvable xmpp.domain field. Yes, this is MUC, not s2s. In addition, I have external publicly resolvable dns records for chat. openfire. and conference. But I now see that the server thinks it’s domain is openfire, not domain.com. In the next few nights, I’ll arrange for some downtime, make the changes, and restart the service. People are too attached to it already to be making changes on the fly!

In other news, for the record, PSI is the only other chat client (besides Spark) that I know of that supports group chat in openfire out of the box. Interestingly enough, it finds the chat rooms via some other manner, and when it connects, it connects to test01@conference.openfire. Fyi…

Thanks!

-crofox