iChat Jabber Problems

I set up Openfire on my own computer so that I didn’t have to connect to a third party jabber server through iChat. I basically did what this article says (http://blog.toonetown.com/2007/12/10-steps-to-multi-protocol-ichat.html). The problem is, that once I set up my server and connected iChat, I wanted to add all my contacts from Address Book (they all have their “jabber” field set, so all I have to do is drag and drop them into iChat). However, once I do that, they all appear to be offline (except one or two contacts occasionally) and after I log out and back in, or after about 10-30 seconds all my contacts just vanish (for some reason, a few contacts that have two different jabber IDs set in Address Book remain, but they are offline).

I’ve tried everything that you normally do on a mac when things go wrong, trash the .plist, repair permissions, you name it. Nothing seems to fix it. Any ideas? I recorded a video of what happens, its sideways but you can tell what is happening…

It’s hard to know exactly what’s going on without seeing the XMPP traffic between iChat and Openfire. That said, I have seen iChat behave oddly in the past work withing with the IM Gateway plugin. I’ll see similar behavior to what you’re seeing where it will appear to add, and remove, and add, and remove, and generally be an odd looking experience. Though, I never had it completely nuke the contacts before. I’m not really sure what to tell you though without seeing the traffic going back and forth. Is anyone else who uses iChat seeing this behavior? One of my coworkers uses iChat and doesn’t seem to be complaining about anything, for whatever that’s worth. =)

Is there any way I can record this traffic and show you? I looked in the user’s roster section of the admin console and the roster items show up and disappear as they are added to iChat.

Any ideas? I still can’t figure it out, I’m pretty stumped by now…