iChat users time out although the idle-time did not run out

AFAIK the default client-timeout is 30 minutes. However especially iChat users complain that they get disconnected frequently, although ther ping-times to the server are below 10ms and no packets lost. this does not happen to Psi, which pings the server all the time.

I am not sure as to what makes wildfire reset the idle-time, yet it should do so for any stanza that is send/received by a contact. Yet even when I was chatting to that person wildfire disconnected it a few minutes after we stopped.

2007.03.22 13:02:39 Closing connection that has been idle: org.jivesoftware.wildfire.nio.NIOConnection@b7a4a2 MINA Session: (SOCKET, R: /xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:51836, L: /yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy:5223, S: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:5223)

xxx is the client IP yyy the server’'s.

We set the ifle-timout to -1 and they are not disconnected anymore, so it seems that wildfire does not get the timeout management handdled correctly.

The problem that arises from this situation is that if we leave the timeout on -1 or some huge number, will wildfire be smart enough to set those contacts to offline that lost their connection without sending a stanza when it cannot deliver a message to them?

I’‘m seeing this problem too, with iChat clients getting randomly disconnected. I’'d like to know too if there are any downsides to disabling the idle timeout.

Found it:

http://www.igniterealtime.org/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=25269

The trick is to set the xmpp.client.idle parameter to a higher value. Default is 2 minutes (120000 ms); I set mine to 30 min (1800000 ms).