Igniterealtime.org does not load and forum post problems

For a few weeks now I cannot open igniterealtime.org site.

It just never loads, not a single byte comes back and the browser keeps spinning the icon.

Does not matter if I go to the site itself, or any of the links that google indexed.

Also do you know that this forum does not work?

It completely does not work under Linux (Firefox or Konqueror)

as the “loading” spinning thing in the middle of the new message body never goes away.

(Oh, I was wrong! After about 4-5 min the body of the message actually loads as a textarea)

Under Windows IE the message body appears fine, but as I am typing the text is invisible.

So I am typing this in Notepad to paste into the message and pray it publishes.

(Actually, it does not - it simply reloads the page and blanks out the body)

The 3 category check boxes below the message have text under Linux, but in IE they are only check boxes and icons with no text.

Did anyone actually test that the site works across browsers and not just in the latest single version of some particular browser?

Smartphones have some issues regarding the responsive design. Using PCs and tablets with modern browsers everything works as expected as far as I can tell.

We do not really want to support outdated browsers without security fixes.

Anyhow you do not mention your OS and browser versions so no one can try to reproduce the issues you have. They may be caused by our customization, by the software itself or by your computer, network configuration or internet access.

I don’t know anything about smartphones as I do not use them.

It took betwen 11:23:12 and 11:25:55 for the textearea of this reply to stop spinning the thing in FF 45 Windows 7. It takes several min for the “loading” spinning thing to go away.

FF45, FF20, IE 9, IE 10, Opera 37 all cannot open igniterealtime.org at all under Windows.

FF 24 or whatever is the current Konqueror under Fedora 20 is same story.

wget too is not getting a single byte back and just times out.

Basically https://community.igniterealtime.org has performance problems with its JS, while http://igniterealtime.org does not respond at all and I can’t even find out what the latest version of OpenFire is.

For sure this is not a problem with my network:

C:>tracert igniterealtime.org

Tracing route to igniterealtime.org [199.193.196.18]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 10.10.10.1

2 14 ms 14 ms 13 ms lns003.lo-0.dsl.net [204.***.***.33]

3 16 ms 14 ms 15 ms 172.31.101.6

4 19 ms 15 ms 14 ms 172.31.0.1

5 17 ms 14 ms 15 ms 172.31.100.2

6 14 ms 15 ms 14 ms xe-7-2-0.mtl10.ip4.gtt.net [199.229.229.101]

7 62 ms 63 ms 62 ms xe-2-0-0.dal33.ip4.gtt.net [89.149.185.85]

8 77 ms 77 ms 75 ms contegix-gw.ip4.gtt.net [173.241.128.114]

9 79 ms 79 ms 78 ms 199-119-120-17.contegix.com [199.119.120.17]

10 77 ms 76 ms 77 ms 199-119-120-22.contegix.com [199.119.120.22]

11 77 ms 76 ms 76 ms 199-193-196-18.contegix.com [199.193.196.18]

Trace complete.

This may be a routing problem within the internet.

community.igniterealtime.org is a cloud application while (www.)igniterealtime.org is hosted in a data center.

Aren’t those clouds fabulous? Always going where wind blows.

So I guess someone will be looking into that.

Isn’t it telling that in several weeks no one but me noticed that the main site was down and complained?

Cheers!

So I guess someone will be looking into that.

I doubt that any of the providers (Jive Software in the case of the forums, Contegix in the case of the main site hosting) will look into this when only one user (so far) is affected. Also, the thing that you experience problems both with the cloud based forums and the hosting based site is weird.

I visit both forums and the main site a few times a day all the week from 3 different locations (one of them a tablet with 3G-4G connection) and i haven’t noticed a site or forums being down recently. Nor have i seen reports in the forums from other users. Reply form takes a bit longer to load for me on a slower connection (or slower device, not sure what is affecting it exactly) - on a tablet. But this is a few seconds difference. One time out of ten it won’t load, so i would have to reload. I have tried to post here from 3 different Linux distros (granted, all from a virtual machines on my home PC) and was able to leave a message. Even with the old Firefox 19 version.

I have currently 17 hops / 138ms and the load times are fine. With 11 hops and 77ms things looks better but there still may be an issue with your internet service provider. If you have a chance to test with a different ISP (eg via smartphone tethering or visit a friend) it may be interesting to know whether there’s the same access problem.

It took me several days to reply to this post as the spinning thing in the middle of reply never goes away.

Different providers, same thing. Provider at work is in the US, home provider is in Canada, same sort of deal not loading.

Same PC (laptop) or different on both locations? If the same, maybe its worth to try to boot with some LiveCD and test. Maybe even if different PCs. Other than that, you can send me your home’s IP (or both) via a private message. I will try to file a case with the forums providers and see if they will find out something.