Igniterealtime.org First Look

Hey all,

We’‘re moving further along in the process of developing the new site to house the jivesoftware.org projects. I wanted to share the latest developments. The site name will be igniterealtime.org. You can check out an early version: http://www.igniterealtime.org. Use the username test and password online. Things we’'re working on now:

• Many aspects of the site still need to be built, like the news and issues feeds. We’'re also hard at work on the blog functionality.

• Lots of content isn’'t done yet.

• Still working on a logo for the site.

Anyway, we’‘d love to get your feedback about what’‘s up there right now. Switching to the new site will be a pretty gradual process and we’'ll be sure to keep people up to date on progress.

Regards,

Matt

I have to admit I prefer the ‘‘softer’’ colour scheme of jivesoftware.org (or maybe thats just what i’'m used to). The home page is very busy - just an observation rather than criticism.

Site layout seems logical, information looks easy enough to find.

Is there going to be a Developers link like jivesoftware.org? Also where’'s the wiki?

Blue is definitely calm, but orange is exciting. The home page content will look a bit different when it’‘s in final form, but yeah, we might need to keep tweaking it. Wiki – it won’‘t make it for the release as an official part of the site, but we’‘ll be doing a closer integration soon. There won’'t be a “Developer” link probably, but that content will be fully integrated into the site.

-Matt

sounds good - can’'t wait

and I’‘m sure I’'ll like the orange pretty quickly.

Just out of curiosity, which wiki will you be using when the time comes?

grimsy wrote:

Just out of curiosity, which wiki will you be using when the time comes?

Actually, we have a temporary wiki up at http://www.jivesoftware.org/wiki – it’'s just not integrated into the site yet.

Regards,

Matt

Ah, Confluence - excellent

and thanks for the link :stuck_out_tongue:

If I may comment, igniterealtime doesn’'t look right to the eyes. Perhaps some dashes could help?

Thanks for your input – we registered the dash version of the name so that people can use that if they prefer.

-Matt

Hi Matt,

I’'d like to see Spark a little more pushed on this page. I assume that a lot of users in the internet are end-users and thus more interested in a client than in a server and a lot of users download first and then start reading. Currently one could think that Wildfire and probably Smack and XIFF are needed to run Spark. Server administrators should be able to read and choose Wildfire.

The Asterisk Plugin is the only plugin which is really promoted, maybe one can change this.

Navigation: The forum (“Community” does offer a small submenu or tree like “JiveSoftware.org » General » Jive Lounge” - on http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/wildfire/index.jsp you can’'t change the project any more, there is no link to Spark or Smack. Maybe one could add a way that one can change the project with one click.

The links to JIRA and JavaDoc are fine, so I’'m missing one to the forum.

Font size: I can use my browser to enlarge the fonts but this destroys the design of the page, some things are no longer readable and for one with impaired vision this page is not really useable.

Updated: xmpp:igniterealtime.org exists, so a xmpp-2-html-“shoutbox” for a MUC would be nice which displays the last 10 messages or 10 minutes.

LG

LG,

All good feedback, thanks!

-Matt

Just wanted to provide an update on the site – we’‘re going to keep plugging away on a lot of aspects of the site, but the backend software to power the blogs isn’‘t ready yet. As it gets closer to being ready, we’'ll post updates to try to get some help doing beta testing.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

I can say that the Wiki runs fine even if it is not integrated so far. Anyhow I did not find out whether it is possible to create “release” versions and “work-in-progress” versions of the documents so a end user can rely on an “official release by Matt” flag in the document when doing what’'s described in it.

LG