Ignore nicknames?

Is there a setting in Wildfire to ignore nicknames and only broadcast JIDs?

Hi Andrew,

I wonder when Wildfire uses nicknames. The clients prefer nicknames, to route xmpp packets JIDs are used. Could you please provide an example where nicknames are used?

LG

it2000 wrote:

Hi Andrew,

I wonder when Wildfire uses nicknames. The clients prefer nicknames, to route xmpp packets JIDs are used. Could you please provide an example where nicknames are used?

LG

I think I’‘d like to not pass nicknames at all. I don’‘t want users to be able to spoof other users’’ JIDs.

Hi Andrew,

one can choose a nickname in the vcard, specify one for every roster enty and of course in MUC. Do you see this problem in MUC or is it more a client issue that your client has a problem to distinguish between nickname and JID?

LG

Basically, I’‘d like to remove users’’ abilities to use nicknames at all. Only use the JIDs.

(Once I get to LDAP, I’'ll be happy to set their nicknames to cn, but one step at a time.)

Update: After experimenting with LDAP-based VCards, it looks like this nicely defeats any “alias” setting in the clients. I’'ll deploy this tomorrow night and see if the undergrads manage to prove me wrong.