IM-Gateway.....beta install

I installed the IM_Gateway plugin last night on my test install of Wildfire/Spark - and thereafter was unable to get into the server to delete it.

The server crashed (inaccesible I would say) - and finally had to re-start it in order to get to the admin console to delete the plugin from the command line.

I do understand that this is a beta version…

Is there any documentation available on how to hook up the various transports in order for this to work?

Is there also a minimum Java Memory Requirement in order for this to not crash? I find that my install sees only 63MB of memory…How does one increase the amount of memory available for use?

Thanks

hmmm, guess i’'ll wait on installing beta4 ;-).

the install config documentation is sparse b/c it’'s really as simple as “put the gateway.jar in the plugin directory.”

search for vmoptions in the wildfire support forum for details on how to get min/max heap (Xms, Xmx) settings applied at runtime.

no sure what OS or anything but basically here are the steps i took to get the gateway running (the Beta one specificially)

1: download the plugin and dropped in my /plugins folder

2: add all the wildfire properties for each respective gateway (http://wiki.jivesoftware.org/display/WILDFIRE/Wildfire+Properties, down at the bottom under “Plugins”) These can be set under the Server Manager - System Properties in the Admin Console

3: add a DNS record for “yahoo.jabber.brain-farts.org

Once i had all all of the above done, i was able to register (using miranda) with the Jabber Agent: “yahoo.jabber.brain-farts.org”. To add users i had to use the Jabber Add User and the following YIM user id: @yahoo.jabber.brain-farts.org

Step 2 seems to be left off the most. Not entirely sure Step 3 was completely neccesary.

Why did you do this? =) This is -not- necessary and in fact is not recommended. Those are advanced options (most of which aren’‘t implemented) for things like… if you had a corporate MSN server for whatever reason and needed to point at it. =) That said, shouldn’'t hurt anything that you did set those, but definitely not required/recommended unless you need it.

3: add a DNS record for “yahoo.jabber.brain-farts.org

Not necessary or recommended. Reason being is, that is typically only done when you want external users to be able to use your transport install and in this particular case, the plugin does not support external users.

toetag wrote:

Once i had all all of the above done, i was able to register (using miranda) with the Jabber Agent: “yahoo.jabber.brain-farts.org”. To add users i had to use the Jabber Add User and the following YIM user id: @yahoo.jabber.brain-farts.org

Step 2 seems to be left off the most. Not entirely sure Step 3 was completely neccesary.

no sure what OS or anything but basically here are the steps i took to get the gateway running (the Beta one specificially)

1: download the plugin and dropped in my /plugins folder

2: add all the wildfire properties for each respective gateway (http://wiki.jivesoftware.org/display/WILDFIRE/Wildfire+Properties, down at the bottom under “Plugins”) These can be set under the Server Manager - System Properties in the Admin Console

Well, my first install went like this:

1: downloaded the plugin and dropped it in my /plugins folder

2: configured my firewall to talk to the respective servers and ports

Nothing happened. Didn’‘t work. got error messages in log stating something like "couldn’'t conect to “” server". A blank server seemed kinda weird. Did some searching on the site, found the wiki about the properties. configured them. Then the error messages with the “blank server” went away.

What do you mean External users? My server is public to the internet. My friends and I use it (all over the world). the YIM gateway works flawlessly. I can’'t honestly say if that DNS entry did the trick or not. In miranda my logs were showing errors about talking to “yahoo.jabber.brain-farts.org”. So i added the DNS and went to bed. Next morning, she was working.

External users are users that don’'t have an account on your local XMPP server, but try to use your gateway anyways.

toetag wrote:

Well, my first install went like this:

1: downloaded the plugin and dropped it in my /plugins folder

2: configured my firewall to talk to the respective servers and ports

Nothing happened. Didn’‘t work. got error messages in log stating something like "couldn’'t conect to “” server". A blank server seemed kinda weird. Did some searching on the site, found the wiki about the properties. configured them. Then the error messages with the “blank server” went away.

What the… =) If you still have the exact log entries and the information around them, I’‘d love to see them! (ie, please paste into the forum or if you don’'t feel comfortable with that, private message to me)

The actual settings for what host to connect to are not used at all yet.

The only parts that are used are the things that let you rename the gateway to like yahoo2 instead of yahoo or something like that, and if it’'s not set, it defaults to the standard.

Oh and you know what, you might be right about the dns entry. I forgot that I do indeed have dns entries for all the gateways set up here at home. Theoretically you shouldn’‘t need it though because you send the request through your wildfire server and your wildfire server should go "oh, well that’'s me" and keep the request and route it to the plugin.

i did not have to setup any dns entries for yahoo|aim|msn.jabber.mydomain.com.