IM Gateway problem

Hi,

I’m newby in Openfire and I am trying to use the IM Gateway plugin but I can’t make it work.

I have enabled the plugin for msn and I have disabled the firewall on my server to avoid any communication problem. When I add a

new hotmail contact in my jabber client, that contact doesn’t receive any notification. I have enabled debug logs on my

openfire server and I can see the following:

2007.09.28 12:59:19 OS - Trying to connect to hotmail.com:5269(DNS lookup: hotmail.com:5269)

2007.09.28 12:59:39 Error sending packet to remote server:

<iq type=“get” to="kkk@hotmail.com" id=“aadca” from=“ppp@my.domain/Kopete”>

<vCard xmlns=“vcard-temp” prodid="-//HandGen//NONSGML vGen v1.0//EN" version=“2.0”/>

</iq>

java.lang.Exception: Failed to create connection to remote server

The plugin configuation for msn is the default one:

Host: messenger.hotmail.com

Port: 1863

Any idea about why my server is trying to connect to hotmail:5269?

Do I need any additional configuration for the plugin?

Thanks in advance,

Enrique.

You actually can’t add the people in exactly that way. See, if you just add foo@hotmail.com, XMPP will attempt to contact hotmail.com itself, not the IM gateway plugin. hotmail.com doesn’t support XMPP, so it will fail. You actually need to add the contact in a way that’s converted into what the IM gateway plugin / XMPP expect. This would generally look like foo\40hotmail.com@msn.youropenfireserver.org. Spark has a “this person is on a public network” thing you can use in it’s add contact dialog that takes care of this for you. Most other clients do as well. (some definitely do -not- though) The IM Gateway plugin follows XEP-0100 to allow a client to convert foo@hotmail.com to the JID style without the end user having to know they have to do that but the client has to support it.