powered by Jive Software

Import user from Jive Messenger 2.2.2 to Wildfire Server 2.5.0

I am running Jive Messenger 2.2.2 on a machine from last 4 months and recently I had setup Wildfire Server 2.5.0 on another machine. How can I import users from Jive Messenger 2.2.2 to my new Wildfire server ??

This should be a pretty simple migration:

  • Backup your existing database

  • Copy your database to the new server

  • Startup Wildfire 2.5 and configure it to use your existing database

  • Wildfire 2.5 will see the older database schema and automatically update it to the latest version.

Regards,

Matt

  • Backup your existing database

How is this done ? I will read the docs some more, but your answer could be a little more detailed.

  • Copy your database to the new server

What file(s) would this entail ?

  • Startup Wildfire 2.5 and configure it to use your existing database

Wildfire 2.5 is already started and using it’'s own new embedded database.

  • Wildfire 2.5 will see the older database schema and automatically update it to the latest version. ???


Isn’'t there just a way with the older jiive 2.2.x to export the users and groups so that I can then import them into Wildfire 2.5.x ???

Everything is up and working with both the new and old server, but now I have to have everybody re-register and then manually divide them into groups.

Hi Scott,

which database are you using? I guess it’‘s the embedded one, the two database files (four while the server is running) are stored in the wildfireHome/embedded-db folder. It shouldn’'t be too hard to make a copy of these files and transfer them to the 2.5.1 server.

Using export/import seems to be much more complicated.

LG

I am actually going from Jive Messenger 2.2.0 to Wildfire 2.5.1. They are both up and running using the embedded database. I have 1 user on the new server and 30 - 50 on the old server.

I copied the 4 files in the /opt/jive_messenger/embedded-db/ directory to my new server.

Do I now get rid of (move to a backup directory) my existing files located in the embedded-db directory (wildfire.lck, .log, .properties, .script) and copy the files from the old server into this directory ?

Do I need to rename the old files wildfire instead of messenger ?

or do I keep both the old and the new files so that somehow Wildfire will merge them ?

Are there any other files I have to have ? I want to configure the server differently than the old one, I just need the users to transfer over.

It sounds like you’'re close. You should rename the old files on the new server installation to overwrite the ones that ship with Wildfire 2.5.

Regards,

Matt

I tried that. I moved the wildfire embedded-db files to …/embedded-db.OLD and then copied the files from the old jive mesenger server into this directory and verified their permissions.

I then renamed each file from messenger.XX to wildfire.XX.

Now when I use “service wildfired start” it starts up for about 30 seconds and then dies.

Hi Matt,

did you also change some table names? I thought that one must run some update scripts, or was this for JM 2.0 ?

LG

@Scott: No errors in the log files?

What log file should I be looking in ? The .log file in the embedded-db directory is difficult to understand so I haven’'t looked at it too closely yet.

in the logs directory, Wifi should log the problems it has with the database.

http://www.jivesoftware.org/group-chat.jsp

Both servers are running Fedora Core 4.

Everything is now working perfectly, but along with the users I also got the settings from the old server. Here’'s everytthing I did :

I have done the following so far :

  1. Copied over the /opt/jive-messenger/embedded-db/ directory to my new server.

  2. Shutdown wildfire using “service wildfired stop”.

  3. Backed up my /opt/wildfire/embedded-db directory to /opt/wildfire/embedded-db.OLD

  4. Copied the contents of the embedded-db directory from my old server to the /opt/wildfire/embedded-db/ directory.

  5. Made sure all of the permissions were still “644 jive jive”.

  6. Renamed all of the files in the embedded-db directory from messenger.XX to wildfire.XX

  7. Restarted wildfire using “service wildfired start”

  8. Removed the embedded-db.OLD directory after I made sure everything was working correctly.

Thanks for everyone’'s help !!!