I have just loaded Openfire 3.8.1 on a RHEL server - no issues. Started openfire - no issues. I use the web interface to configure openfire, and that is where I run into problems, getting Openfire to talk to my AD.
Let me preface by saying, the “test” button does not work. I’ve loaded Firefox, Chrome, IE - only save settings works, so it is very difficult to test. I have to go to the end where I add an admin, before I know if it will fail.
My set up is very vanilla. AD is city.company.com. I’ve tried Administrator and openfire users as admin. For this example, I’ll use CN=Administrator,CN=Users,DC=city,DC=company,DC=com. The server is dc1.company.com. Here’s what I put:
Server Type: Active Directory
Host: dc1.company.com Port: 389
Base DN: DC=city,DC=company,DC=com
Administrator DN: CN=Administrator,CN=Users,DC=city,DC=company,DC=com
But it does not work. When I get to add admins, it fails.