Initial questions about features/options

I am looking for an internal messaging system that can be used in a corporate setting. Most of the commercial software versions do not have exactly what I need or the ability to add new features. A friend mentioned Jive…

Are the following options available out-of-box or through a plugin?

1. Message Logging – Log all messages on the server.

2. Department/group Message – Send messages to all users online or offline in a department/group.

3. User/group Restrictions – The ability to prevent users from sending messages, they can only receive. Also, only allowing group A to send messages to group B. Or is this a client function? Can this be done through LDAP?

4. Files – Sending and receiving files with options, server side, to prevent users/groups from sending or receiving files.

Thanks,

Bal

Hey Bal,

I am looking for an internal messaging system that

can be used in a corporate setting. Most of the

commercial software versions do not have exactly what

I need or the ability to add new features. A friend

mentioned Jive…

Are the following options available out-of-box or

through a plugin?

1. Message Logging – Log all messages on the server.

You can turn on the audit log option and the audited packets will be stored in a local file. There is a tool developed by community members to parse and read that file.

1. Department/group Message – Send messages to all

users online or offline in a department/group.

You can use the broadcast plugin. Messages sent to all@example.com will be sent only to ONLINE users but messages sent to @example.com will be sent to ONLINE users and may be stored for OFFLINE users.

1. User/group Restrictions – The ability to prevent

users from sending messages, they can only receive.

Also, only allowing group A to send messages to group

B. Or is this a client function? Can this be done

through LDAP?

This feature is planned for a future release. Vote the feature request JM-349 to increase its priority.

1. Files – Sending and receiving files with options,

server side, to prevent users/groups from sending or

receiving files.

This feature may be related to JM-349 too. There is no support for this feature yet. You can easily right a PacketInterceptor to filter any packet if JM-349 is not enough for you.

Regards,

– Gato