Installation borked after upgrade

All,

I’ve been running OpenFire since it was Wildfire. Today, I upgraded from version 3.6.2 to 3.6.4 on a CentOS 4.6 box via RPM. When I first start Openfire, I try to set it up via Web browser. I get through that process, but when I try to get to the admin login page, the OpenFire process dies. When I try to start OpenFire subsequently, the process dies immediately. Don’t know if this has any bearing, but I’ve noticed that now OpenFire directories and files are owned by “daemon”, whereas previously, they were owned by root. BTW, JDK is 1.5.0, which worked fine previously. Also, uninstalling and rolling back to previous version produces the same problem.

I’ve made myself nuts trying to figure out where I’m going wrong, Any help would be most appreciated.

alfred_e_neuman

Hi,

try chmod 777 for the Openfire directory. Anyhow it would be better to use chown and set it to the user Openfire is using. I assume it’s jive.

LG

I changed ownership from “daemon” to “root” (which was the owner in the previous installation; there is no user “jive”). I also changed perms to 777 for everything in the openfire installation directory (kinda scary). Still no joy. OpenFire process dies immediately.

I might add that if I copy openfire.xml.rpmsave over openfire.xml, I can start the openfire process. As soon as I get to the point where I’m prompted to login in as admin, the openfire process dies. The, it dies immediately upon restart. Changing perms on the file doesn’t help.

alfred_e_neuman

Hi,

do you see errors in the log files?

Or is a hs_err file written somewhere when the process dies?

Are you using an external database?

Are you still using Java 1.4?

LG

No, no errors in the log files that I can distinguish.

It makes no difference if I try to use an external database or the embedded one.

Path point to java version 1.5.0.

Grrrr…

alfred_e_neuman

Yes, solved! And, you all are not going to believe how: Yesterday morning, I upgraded Samba on the OpenFire box (it’s needed to authenticate for another program against our AD). I had also upgraded Samba on another machine and, late in the day, a remote user mentioned he was having some share issues. This morning, I decided to roll Samba back to the previous version on that machine. Voila, problem solved. While I couldn’t believe that Samba would cause an issue with OpenFire, I decided to roll back Samba on the OpenFire box, too. Again, problem solved. I started up OpenFire, the process didn’t die, and all of my IM accounts worked again. Go figure. Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. Very much appreciated.

alfred_e_neuman