Installation failed - No suitable driver found

Hi, I’m trying to install Openfire and running into a problem. Initially I tried to use a MySQL database, but it kept failing at the connection step. I switched to the embedded HSQLDB, which allowe dme to proceed, but now it’s failing at the final step where I’m supposed to set an admin password. In both cases, I’m seeing an error in the logs:

2009.09.24 00:12:34 [org.jivesoftware.util.log.util.CommonsLogFactory$1.error(CommonsLogFactory.jav a:92)] Prototype
java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver found for jdbc:hsqldb:/opt/openfire/embedded-db/openfire
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
at org.logicalcobwebs.proxool.DefaultConnectionBuilder.buildConnection(DefaultConn ectionBuilder.java:39)
at org.logicalcobwebs.proxool.Prototyper.buildConnection(Prototyper.java:159)
at org.logicalcobwebs.proxool.Prototyper.sweep(Prototyper.java:102)
at org.logicalcobwebs.proxool.PrototyperThread.run(PrototyperThread.java:44)

At this point even if I don’t do anything, the error keeps repeating every 30 seconds.

We’re going to have a very small number of users, so I don’t really care if we’re using MySQl or the embedded database. Could someone help me get either one of them functioning? We’re running CentOS. If you need any more information, please ask. Thanks.

Edit: It looks like there was some references to MySQL in my xml conf file. I deleted those, restarted openfire, and re-ran the installation. Looks ok now.

The embedded DB is not meant for a production server. It is for testing purposes mostly. It does not give you easy DB management, or good backup and recovery options. You should be using an external DB regardless of the number of clients for production servers.