Installation help

Hello all. I am very excited about having this service on my website. I am a complete noob when it comes to this stuff, though, so I need some very clearly explained help with an installation problem I’'ve run into.

I am on the Database Settings page of the installation (page 3, I believe) and have received the following error:

A connection to the database could not be made. View the error message by opening the “\logs\error.log” log file, then go back to fix the problem.

I viewed the error and it was an incredibly lengthy and incomprehensible mess that says, in part:

2005.12.16 22:48:48 [org.jivesoftware.database.ConnectionPool.(ConnectionPool.java:108)

] Failed to create new connections on startup. Attempt 0 of 3

com.mysql.jdbc.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure due to underlying exception:

• BEGIN NESTED EXCEPTION **

java.net.UnknownHostException

STACKTRACE:

java.net.UnknownHostException:

at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(Unknown Source)

at com.mysql.jdbc.StandardSocketFactory.connect(StandardSocketFactory.java:137)

…and it goes on, and on, and on. I am eager to have this service implemented, but need some help doing so. Please respond.

Hi William,

which database do you want to use? A mysql installation or the embedded database? Using the embedded database is painless and usually the best joice for the first installation.

LG

I was planning on the embedded database for that very reason. Should I do something different when I install, in order to accomplish that? I’'m fine with uninstalling and reinstalling if so.

Thanks for the help!

william,

The issue is that you didn’‘t enter in a real host name for the JDBC URL. You’'re supposed to enter in the name of the server to connect to and the database. Or, the embedded database is an easy option instead.

Regards,

Matt

Okay, I uninstalled and reinstalled, selected ‘‘embedded database’’ this time, and we’‘re good. Now the problem I’‘m having is that it never let me select a username and password, and obviously I cannot log in to my admin panel without one. Is there something I missed? I see where it lets me put in an email address and password, but that doesn’'t seem to do anything for the log in.

Thanks for the help so far!

william,

The default admin username and password are admin admin

The admin login information is specified in the conf/jive-messenger.xml

You can specify additional usernames to access the admin console. After you login to the admin console with the default password, you can change the default password.

Ravin

Thanks, that did the trick

Okay, I’‘ve accessed my admin panel and created a group chat. This is going to sound very noob-ly, but how do I now get this up on my website for people to use? I didn’'t see anything in the readme or admin panel that made this obvious.

another idiot question: now that I’'ve logged off of the admin panel, how do I get back to it? Where, within the files, do I find it?

william,

Assuming that you are using a Windows platform; in the system try you will find the Jive/WildFire server icon. Clicking on that will launch a dialog box with a button to Start, Stop, and the Launch the Admin Console.

Usually the Admin Console on the localhost with whatever the port address you have specified in the conf/jive-messenger.xml file. The default http port is 9090.

http://localhost:9090

Ravin

p.s. Sorry don’'t a answer to the previous question.

Message was edited by:

ravindimantha

Thanks, I created a shortcut for my admin login.

Still need help taking the group chat from something on my control panel to something on my website. I’'ll create a new thread for that. Thanks everyone!