Integration with Proprietary System

I’m currently working on integrating OpenFire with a proprietary product that my company develops. It looks like the best way to do this is to write a plugin for OpenFire. At this point I’m primarily focused on getting OpenFire to use our system for authorization, users, and rosters. Based on some of the documentation I’ve read, I plan to write implementations of the following interfaces:

• org.jivesoftware.openfire.auth.AuthProvider
  • org.jivesoftware.openfire.user.UserProvider
  • org.jivesoftware.openfire.group.GroupProvider

Once I have those implementations written and present in my plugin, it looks like I just have to configure OpenFire to use them with the following configuration XML:

<auth>

<className>path.to.my.impl</class>

</auth>

<user>

</user>

<group>

</group>

Provided I’ve written these implementations to work as OpenFire expects, am I correct in assuming that this will cause OpenFire to use our proprietary system for authentication, users, and groups data? Is this the best practice way of doing it?

I just want to make sure I’m on the right path before getting too deep into this.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,

using a standard protocol like LDAP (M$ AD, Oracle ID) or Kerberos would be much better. I really wonder who does write proprietary software with a proprietary user management. Maybe you can implement an LDAP server / interface within your software.

There is the external database authentication provider which you might use, otherwise you need to write your own one.

LG

I found this thread started by a person with an almost identical use case as mine:

That thread answered a lot of my questions.

Thanks for the input.

-Andy