Intermittant fastpath connection problem

I have openfire 3.6.3 running for internal chat using spark and all is well. I have installed fastpath and web chat and it works great internally. I am trying to get webchat up and running on our ecommerce server and it works intermittantly. Sometimes the icon shows up on the web page sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes the test connection (https://domain.com/webchat/test-connection.jsp) connects right away and sometimes I get the message below:

List of available workgroups within Fastpath

Click on one of the following workgroups to join.

Unable to connect to server using the following settings:
Server: domain.com
Port: 5222
SSL Enabled: false
Test Connection

Please change your server settings in the setup tool.

If I click on the “Test Connection” link I get

Server Connection Test
Results: XMPPError connecting to imhost.atlanticfasteners.com:5222.: remote-server-error(502) XMPPError connecting to imhost.atlanticfasteners.com:5222. – caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.connectUsingConfiguration(XMPPConnection. java:806) at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.connect(XMPPConnection.java:1252) at pagecompile._test_connection_xjsp._jspService(_test_connection_xjsp.java:64) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.JspHttpJspPage.service(JspHttpJspPage.java:41) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:1024) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:856) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.SERequestDispatcher.forwardServlet(SERequestDispatch er.java:638) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.SERequestDispatcher.forward(SERequestDispatcher.java :236) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.SERequestDispatcher.internalForward(SERequestDispatc her.java:283) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.SEFilterChain.doFilter(SEFilterChain.java:80) at org.jivesoftware.webchat.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodi ngFilter.java:45) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.SEFilterChain.doFilter(SEFilterChain.java:50) at org.jivesoftware.webchat.SetupFilter.doFilter(SetupFilter.java:92) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.SEFilterChain.doFilter(SEFilterChain.java:50) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ApplicationInfo.filterApplRequest(ApplicationInfo.ja va:2121) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ApplicationInfo.processApplRequest(ApplicationInfo.j ava:1786) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ServerHostInfo.processApplRequest(ServerHostInfo.jav a:898) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ServletExec.ProcessRequest(ServletExec.java:1081) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ServletExec.ProcessRequest(ServletExec.java:992) Nested Exception: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method) at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:333) at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:195) at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:182) at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:366) at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:507) at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:457) at java.net.Socket.(Socket.java:365) at java.net.Socket.(Socket.java:178) at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.connectUsingConfiguration(XMPPConnection. java:791) at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.connect(XMPPConnection.java:1252) at pagecompile._test_connection_xjsp._jspService(_test_connection_xjsp.java:64) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.JspHttpJspPage.service(JspHttpJspPage.java:41) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:1024) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:856) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.SERequestDispatcher.forwardServlet(SERequestDispatch er.java:638) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.SERequestDispatcher.forward(SERequestDispatcher.java :236) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.SERequestDispatcher.internalForward(SERequestDispatc her.java:283) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.SEFilterChain.doFilter(SEFilterChain.java:80) at org.jivesoftware.webchat.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodi ngFilter.java:45) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.SEFilterChain.doFilter(SEFilterChain.java:50) at org.jivesoftware.webchat.SetupFilter.doFilter(SetupFilter.java:92) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.SEFilterChain.doFilter(SEFilterChain.java:50) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ApplicationInfo.filterApplRequest(ApplicationInfo.ja va:2121) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ApplicationInfo.processApplRequest(ApplicationInfo.j ava:1786) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ServerHostInfo.processApplRequest(ServerHostInfo.jav a:898) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ServletExec.ProcessRequest(ServletExec.java:1081) at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ServletExec.ProcessRequest(ServletExec.java:992)

This e-commerce server is fairly slow and I bet something is timing out. Any suggestions? I would prefer to not advertise port 9090 on the openfire server (which seems to work perfect).

Thank you in advance for any ideas,

Dean Johnson