Introduccion to Openfire

Hello, I’m new in Openfire. I just was looking around and I was able to install Openfire with a standard setup in a Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt20-1+deb8u3 (2016-01-17) x86_64 GNU/Linux It was not so easy to find documents about what is Openfire, How is build, what layer “X” is on top of layer “Y”. and how to,after install use it, witch clients can login onto the system, How, and the most important… what can they do with or with out any plugin. Maybe for some of you, RTC / XMPP are common words, but for the beginer maybe are strange words. Also plugins need more documentation… or if they are there, a easy place to pick up them for the common user. I think that centralicing, indexing and grouping the docs can make people feel more confortable with the proyect. Please, if there is a link with the documentation point me to it. Thank you for your time. :slight_smile:

You are probably referring to Openfire’s project page. RTC in that paragraph abbreviates real time collaboration, which goes before the abbreviation. XMPP just adds the name of technology to the “instant messaging”. If real time collaboration and instant messaging is still confusing, then nothing can be done about that. This is a technology, so it is not for everyone to grasp. One has to have a specific mind set before going into such thing. I haven’t heard about XMPP and only heard a few things about Jabber before going into this and it wasn’t confusing to me. So, what is Openfire? It is an instant messaging platform. That’s it. You can read on Wikipedia Openfire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . But it won’t tell much more. This is enough for those who are interested in this technology and work in IT.

There is no detailed explanation of usage or how it works nor the user guide as nobody ever wrote it. Openfire administration is pretty straight forward and simplified (web based), so one can learn the basics on his own (i did back in the days) or ask in the forums for help. Writing detailed documentation takes lots of time and currently all projects here are driven only by a few volunteers. Anyone is welcome to write a documentation and contribute it to the community. Also one can try collecting all the various wiki documents created in these forums and combine them into one structure. That’s how the things are here, not enough man power to do everything.

Now, about the plugins. Usually they have a readme attached with usage explanation. If you have any specific plugin in mind, please share. But many of them are third party plugins, created by users of Openfire, so fixing a lacking documentation for plugins can be harder to address. But again, anyone is welcome to contribute changes to the documentation. Openfire is an Open Source project. GitHub - igniterealtime/Openfire: A XMPP server licensed under the Open Source Apache License.

Thank you for your response, I will have a look on the forums and the git hub place.

Thanks for the link.