Introducing Hazelcast ... a new way to cluster Openfire!

Hi David -

Thanks for the suggestion … we have had a few inquiries about running Openfire+Hazelcast on AWS but did not have a good answer. Beyond the need for the JAR file and AWS configuration settings, were there any other steps you needed to take to get clustering working on AWS?

I will update the plugin to include the hazelcast-cloud.jar file in the next revision.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks very much for including the .jar. There were no other steps required other than ensuring that you create a distinct security group for the EC2 cluster and permit ports required for the cluster nodes to communicate.

I did note one issue: when I enable a cluster node from the Openfire admin UI it appears to hang, I let it go for a few minutes. Amazon API can be super slow so perhaps a timeout in your plugin code is affected, I saw the cache successfully instantiated in the logs. Restarting openfire after enabling clustering made everyone happy. I’m using both the security group and tag options in the Hazelcast config, which may add to the delay. Otherwise I’ve seen no errors running in this method, this is with a simple 2-node deployment.

I’d be happy to communicate setup docs once I work out any issue with the setup for the ELB and do more thorough testing if you’d like.

Hi all,

I am trying to use Hazelcast plugin v 1.2.2 with Openfire v 3.9.3, hosted in rackspace cloud.

The config file is using TCP to identify the cluster members.

Server1 lists both itself and Server2 in the Clustering panel, but Server2 only lists itself and intermittently lists Server1. Whenever it can not lists Server1, I checked the log, has the below error stack, Can anybody please help me in guiding how to get this resolved:

2014.12.06 12:12:46 com.jivesoftware.util.cache.ClusteredCacheFactory - Failed to execute cluster task within 30 seconds

java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException

at com.hazelcast.spi.impl.InvocationImpl$InvocationFuture.resolveResponse(Invocati onImpl.java:466)

at com.hazelcast.spi.impl.InvocationImpl$InvocationFuture.get(InvocationImpl.java: 314)

at com.hazelcast.util.executor.DelegatingFuture.get(DelegatingFuture.java:66)

at com.jivesoftware.util.cache.ClusteredCacheFactory.doSynchronousClusterTask(Clus teredCacheFactory.java:334)

at org.jivesoftware.util.cache.CacheFactory.doSynchronousClusterTask(CacheFactory. java:586)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.system_002dclustering_jsp._jspService(system_00 2dclustering_jsp.java:123)

at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:547)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1359)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:11 8)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1330)

at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:74)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1330)

at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingF ilter.java:50)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:78)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:164)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:478)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:119)

at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:520)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:22 7)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:94 1)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:409)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:186 )

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:875 )

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:117)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandler Collection.java:250)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.jav a:149)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:110)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:349)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:441)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConne ction.java:919)

at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:582)

at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:218)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AsyncHttpConnection.handle(AsyncHttpConnection.java:51 )

at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.handle(SelectChannelEndPoint.jav a:586)

at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint$1.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java :44)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:598 )

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:533)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Best Regards,

SM