Invalid Username or Password - Spark 2.6.3

Hi there,

I work as an IT technician at a primary school that uses Spark.

It’s been working fine but now we get ‘Invalid Username or Password’ message as if no longer authenticating with Active Directory

Spark v2.6.3

OpenFire v3.7.1 installed on MS Server 2008 R2

We upgraded to Windows 10 recently and was working okay for a couple of weeks.

I’ve attached the error log

If I open OpenFire Server I see the following…

Database setup or configuration error: Please verify your database settings and check the logs/error.log file for detailed error messages.

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: java.sql.SQLException: ConnectionManager.getConnection() failed to obtain a connection after 11 retries. The exception from the last attempt is as follows: java.sql.SQLException: The database is already in use by another process: org.hsqldb.persist.NIOLockFile@c69e02e3[file =C:\Program Files (x86)\Openfire\embedded-db\openfire.lck, exists=true, locked=false, valid=false, fl =null]: java.lang.Exception: java.io.IOException: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file : C:\Program Files (x86)\Openfire\embedded-db\openfire.lck

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.verifyDataSource(XMPPServer.java:764)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.start(XMPPServer.java:480)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.(XMPPServer.java:212)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.start(ServerStarter.java:113)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.main(ServerStarter.java:58)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: ConnectionManager.getConnection() failed to obtain a connection after 11 retries. The exception from the last attempt is as follows: java.sql.SQLException: The database is already in use by another process: org.hsqldb.persist.NIOLockFile@c69e02e3[file =C:\Program Files (x86)\Openfire\embedded-db\openfire.lck, exists=true, locked=false, valid=false, fl =null]: java.lang.Exception: java.io.IOException: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file : C:\Program Files (x86)\Openfire\embedded-db\openfire.lck

at org.jivesoftware.database.DbConnectionManager.getConnection(DbConnectionManager .java:151)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.verifyDataSource(XMPPServer.java:754)

… 16 more

ErroSr saterverh riatng thes lted

erver. Please check the log files for more information.

I’ve only just started at the school so not sure how this software is set up and any advice much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dan
Spark Error Log.txt.zip (475 Bytes)

The error you have pasted in the post (about the database already locked) is most probably caused by you trying to run the Openfire launcher when Openfire is probably already running as a service (hence the error, that you can’t access the database, as service is already using it). So, do not run launcher.

About the login issue in Spark. Microsoft has released a security update this month which is causing problems in some applications, so i wonder if this is the case. Do you have KB3175024 installed on one of these Windows 10 machines? It should be with the installation date of 09.14-16. You can try uninstalling this update temporarily to see if this helps with the login on this PC.

Hi wroot,

I’ve checked on the Windows 10 machines and KB3175024 is definitely not installed (our updates come through WSUS)

Can you think of anything else to check?

Thanks

Dan

You can check Spark’s error and warn logs at C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Spark\logs

Thanks wroot.

Nothing showing in error log - warn log attached.

Cheers

Dan
warn.txt.zip (572 Bytes)

Are you sure you are running Spark 2.6.3 version? Errors in warn.log are specific to 2.8.0 version, which would explain why you have this issue.

Doh! Sorry, I emailed you the log from the one PC I’d upgraded Spark on as a test…

Regular user warn log on 2.6.3 attached…

Thanks
warn.txt.zip (426 Bytes)

Well, this error doesn’t say anything to me. Do you use Openfire version with Java bundled? If not, maybe you have upgraded Java recently? What Java version is shown in Admin Console on the first page?

You can always try Spark 2.7.7 or the latest 2.8.0 build with Disable certificate hostname verification option. Links are here (at the bottom of the DOC) Login issues since Spark 2.8.0

Hi wroot,

This is resolved now.

Uninstalled everything and started again with OF 4.0.3 with java bundled. Working okay now.

Thanks for your help

Dan